Hardy interview Part 2: With a win, he's ready for GSP

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
11-13-2009 06:15 PM:

Dan Hardy doesn't lack for confidence so he's not going to shy away when people ask him if the winner of his fight against Mike Swick at UFC 105 should get a shot UFC welterweight champ Georges St. Pierre.

"As soon as the opportunity arises I'll be taking it," Hardy told Cagewriter. "I feel like I've got plenty of tools that can give him problems"

Hardy only has three UFC fights under his belt but he knows a definitive victory could open enough eyes to push him to the front of the 170 pack nipping St. Pierre's heels. He's looking for a devastating finish against Swick after two straight wins by decisions. If that happens, Hardy says he's unafraid of GSP:

"I think people are kind of holding him in too high esteem. He's a very good fighter and he gets the job done. [But] he's only human. He's got two arms and two legs, same as the rest of us. Anybody on any given day can go in there and put a beatin on him, like [Matt] Serra did."

Hardy said there are a lot of guys in the UFC welterweight division who can give GSP problems and that the talk of St. Pierre moving to 185 pounds needs to stop.

Swick (14-2, 9-1 UFC) and Hardy (22-6, 3-0 UFC) meet just before the main event at UFC 105.

Hardy said he spent half of his camp working on his ground game jiu-jitsu. Odd, right? After all, Swick is primarily a stand up fighter. Hardy pointed out that during his time in Los Angeles with Joe Bravo, he thought his opponent was Dong Hyun Kim. A Kim injury allowed Swick to slip into the spot. Hardy also said he didn't have a chance to work before this fight with renowned boxing trainer Freddie Roach. Understandably Roach was tied up with Manny Pacquiao.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions