Happy Presidents Day! Who is your favorite/least favorite president?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Happy Presidents Day!

In honor of getting the day off of work, I'd like to dedicate a thread to talking about your favorite and least favorite presidents. Please jump in with some names and some reasons why. If you disagree with someone's assessment, jump into the fray.

upnorthkyosa

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Favorite: Ted Rooseveldt

LLeast: the clown we have now

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Favorite: Um, FDR will probably top the list, but there are others that I admire - like Teddy Roosevelt.

Least favorite: W Bush.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Favorite President - Theodore Roosevelt

He was a progressive that truly cared about making the lives of every american better. He took on the powers of his day, busted up monopolies and basically laid the groundwork for the New Deal. TR was an avid conservationist and worked dilligently to preserve natural areas. TR was also an ornithologist. Stephen Jay Gould said that TR is perhaps the only president that could have had a scientific conversation with his collegues. In fact, TR's theories regarding coloration of birds and concealment have proven correct today. TR was an explorer, a hunter, and (very conveniently for a martial arts board) a judoka.

Least Favorite President - George W. Bush

I'm not going to beat this one to death. As far as my personal ideology goes, I don't think that there could be an administration that is so diametrically opposed to my beliefs. In a general sense, though, I feel that in terms of the office itself, I can't stand how his administration handles itself. They have shown continually that they will do just about anything to ram through their (secret) agenda. The Bush administration that works dilligently to cloister itself off from public review. There reliance on secret meetings and "inner circles" is alarming and they way they spin webs of lies and half truths is disgusting. I think that history may look back on this administration and call it "the great hangover." When the smoke clears and the mirrors are all broken, we'll probably be looking at another Andrew Johnson. It will probably take 50 years to clean up the mess they made.

upnorthkyosa

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Least favorite is a toss-up between Grant and Coolidge.

Favorite: Reagan.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was surprised to hear that Clinton was #2 favorite on a poll I heard on CNN Headline News. I liked Reagan the best as Governor and President. Clinton the least. As far as best or worst:

This is the results of a poll from C-Span. TW
Five Best Presidents

Abraham Lincoln
Franklin Delano Roosevelt
George Washington
Theodore Roosevelt
Harry S. Truman

Five Worst Presidents

James Buchanan
Andrew Johnson
Franklin Pierce
Warren G. Harding
William Henry Harrison
Courtesy: C-SPAN

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fav: FDR

2nd Fav: Whoever made Pres. Day a National Holiday :ultracool

Least: W. Bush

G

ghostdog2

Can't really have a "favorite" or least favorite since I didn't/don't know any of them personally. At the risk of being predictable, Lincoln gets my vote as the best of the best with the original George, Washington that is, a close second.
Without these two, there would be no others.

kid

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm going with the presidents that i can remember in my life time

Favorite: Bill Clinton
Even gives fat interns a chance.

least: George Dubbya Bush
dumbask

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Least favorite? Probably Nixon, followed closely by W.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to another Thread that had no purpose but to Bash Bush.

Favorite: Chester A Arthur - For Doing what he felt was right DESPITE it being against the wishes of his party.

Least Favorite: Warren Harding - His take on Running the Government like a Buisness disturbed me.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Welcome to another Thread that had no purpose but to Bash Bush.
. . . .
Least Favorite: Warren Harding - His take on Running the Government like a Buisness disturbed me.
There is quite a bit of irony in these two statements. Although, I admit I know very little about the Harding Presidency.

You are aware that one of the current office holder's big resume items was his MBA?

Why would it be bad for Harding to run Government as a business, if, as implied in your first statemet, you take offense in the premise because you see it as an opportunity to attack the MBA President's policies?

P.S. - I'm currently reading a Jefferson biography. So, today, he is my favorite. And I think Franklin Pierce gets a bad rap at number 15, partly because he is followed by a giant.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
There is quite a bit of irony in these two statements. Although, I admit I know very little about the Harding Presidency.

You are aware that one of the current office holder's big resume items was his MBA?

Why would it be bad for Harding to run Government as a business, if, as implied in your first statemet, you take offense in the premise because you see it as an opportunity to attack the MBA President's policies?
Its my opinion that Harding really did open the door for that way of thinking...

And I dont think its Ironic to state what to me appears obvious... That a thread was started to Bash Bush, again, while at the same time disliking a man who I believe is responsible for creating the idea that the Gov't should be a Buisness-like entity. Id like to point out, that its one thing to dislike Bush, and activley work to show his faults and failings as a president, and another alltogether (which I feel this thread was started about) to simply yell "Bush SUCKS!"

See, If Bush had created the idea, I would probably have had the same take on him that I do on Harding... As it is... he did not.

tsdclaflin

Green Belt
Reaction score
In all of history, it would have to be George Washington. He wasn't perfect, but he refused to be king and he started term limits. He could have taken advantage of the new democracy but he didn't.

In my lifetime, it would have to be Ronald Reagan.

Including future presidents, it would be me.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Its my opinion that Harding really did open the door for that way of thinking...

And I dont think its Ironic to state what to me appears obvious... That a thread was started to Bash Bush, again, while at the same time disliking a man who I believe is responsible for creating the idea that the Gov't should be a Buisness-like entity. Id like to point out, that its one thing to dislike Bush, and activley work to show his faults and failings as a president, and another alltogether (which I feel this thread was started about) to simply yell "Bush SUCKS!"

See, If Bush had created the idea, I would probably have had the same take on him that I do on Harding... As it is... he did not.

Um...so asking who is your favorite and least favorite president somehow translates into "Bush Sucks!"

Welcome to Fox News.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Um...so asking who is your favorite and least favorite president somehow translates into "Bush Sucks!"

Welcome to Fox News.
Nah... Just looking at the source.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Technopunk said:

Well, you could look at a few other "sources" to see why people have chosen the way they did...

Secret agendas abound aparently...

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Oh for the love of Pete, I thought this was an open thread about fave/least fave Presidents? If all the folks who love W want to post, all well and good.

Is there something going on with MT lately?

kid

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is from a contest on Long Island, New York. The requirements

were to use the two words Lewinsky (The Intern) and Kaczynski (the Unabomber) in a limerick. Here are the three winners:

Third place:

There once was a gal named Lewinsky, Who played on a flute like Stravinsky, 'Twas "Hail to the Chief",On this flute made of beef, That stole the front page from Kaczynski.

Second place: Said Clinton to young Ms. Lewinsky, We don't want to leave clues like Kaczynski, Since you made such a mess, Use the hem of your dress, And wipe that stuff off of your chinsky.

And the winning entry: Lewinsky and Clinton have shown, What Kaczynski must surely have known: That an intern is better, Than a bomb in a letter When deciding how best to be blown.

Can you believe it? Monica Lewinsky turned 28 this week. It seems like only yesterday she was crawling around the Oval Office on her >hands and knees.

Latest Discussions