Hand Speed

W

white mantis

White Mantis here again, Just wondering how I can Improve my hand speed.

:boxing:

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eat dinner at my house. If your hand speed doesn't increase you'll either go hungry or get a fork in the back of the hand. :uhyeah: I've used escrima drills to help with hand speed as well as simply standing face to face with a partner and having him/her try to hit me in the face (w/control of course). I would still like to get faster as well as improve dexterity so I'll be watching this thread closely.

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There is a drill that I learned from Soke Warren at a seminar. It is called sticky hands: Basically, you have a partner and you strike and block back and forth. For every strike your opponent does you block and strike back, then your opponent does it, and so on.

Also, simple drill with somone saying go or kiya then punch, or you can have a partner hold a pad up for just a second and you have to punch before it goes down.

I guess I don't know any that you can work alone.

Let me know if any of these work for you.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you’re working alone its bag work, bag work, bag work! Using the headache bag will not only improve speed but hand eye coordination. Of course the speed bag really helps allot. Another thing is take any bag you get, set a timer and for 30 seconds go as fast as you can none stop completely all out. Do that for a while, then up it to 45 seconds then one minute etc. This improves speed and of course stamina. With a partner the sticky hand type drills are great. Start slow and you punch while your partner blocks then directly from the block he/she punches and you block. Speed it up gradually. You can also do that drill facing each other in horse stance, that help you use your waist and not rely on muscle strength for all of your power.

7sm

vincehardy3

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There are two drills that I practice that improve speed. The first one is candle training. Get a nice slim candle and place it in a base so that the wick comes up to around your solar plexus. Of course the object is to put the flame out. You can practice this with your punches and kicks. If doing it with a punch stop the blow short of the flame--the thrust of your punch will extinguish the flame. Don't snap the punch back--stop your blow right infront of the flame. As it becomes easier you increase your distance until you find your maximum range.

This can be practiced with a front snap kick as well. The difference between the punch and the kick is when the flame is extenguished. With the kick the flame isn't extinguished like when you punch at it. You don't stop the kick infront of the flame. The flame is extinguished when you snap the kick back. Candle training increases speed and focus.

The same is true for the paper drop exercise. You can get a piece of newspaper and hold it in front of you. Let it drop and punch through it. If you rip the paper it was a bad punch. You are trying to put a hole in the paper. Once your ability gets better you just add more paper until you reach your max. This drill is good for speed and focus as well.

Vince

Zujitsuka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Shadowbox with light dumbbells (no more than 2 - 3 lbs.). When punching, chopping, etc., DO NOT lock out your elbows.

Peace & health,

Trent

Green Belt
Reaction score
All excellent suggestions, but the one thing they each of in common is "Practice, practice, practice." Keep training while focusing on proper movement and structure for your system and your body and mind will continually become more efficient resulting in greater speed. Having extra muscle mass to propel your frame more explosively is beneficial as well. In other words, don't stop training. Plyometric exercises (some systems had them incorporated before modern science coined the term) has been proven to assist in physical speed.

These are all merely parts of the speed equation, but will afford a strong foundation for your other attributes to be worked upon and achieve more speed with advanced work.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
elastic bands will add minimal resistance. Also the wrap on types of wrist wts. are very light too. Basically fool your nervous system into a hyper status. It also increases stabilization muscle strength/endurance and explosive power. Speed is part velocity, mechanics, mental so you have to isolate each category to be improved and then combine them back together to make them coordinate.

OP
S

Silo-Fu Kung-Fu

relax more to increase hand speed :)

another idea is to think of your hand as a lead weight attached to a rope (your arm)

or you can visuallise your hand as an arrow being relesed and your hands recoil as if you had just touched a hot stove.

if you have ever burned your hand on a stove you'll remember that you did not think to your self "Hay my had is burning I may want to move it"
instead you just reacted and it moved.

those 2 ideas should help you with your hand speed.

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is a exercise my instructor told me about, never tried as i don't have a bike. Turn a bike upside down and with your hands turn the pedals and keep doing that. Another way is you could practice chain punching and see how many you can do in 30 seconds. Don't clench your fist too tight when you're punching. Try shadow boxing with your hands close but lightly closed.

Bode

Green Belt
Reaction score
Plyometric training is often consider beneficial. (Though there is some argument in the sports medicine world). I find it beneficial.
Practice all you want, but don't jump into trying to perform strikes fast. Do them slow until you have built the muscle memory. After all, "Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect."

You can search amazon for books on Plyometric training.
If you have ever done a pushup with a clap in between each one, then you have done a plyometric exercise. The muscle's (without getting into too much detail or science) are forced to expand and contract rapidly. This causes a pre-loading of the muscle before fire. Like taking a rubber band and stretching it. The goal is to train your muscles to be more capable of moving fast (increasing fast twitch muslce fibers), so pick the work out that does so. I am short on time otherwise I would make more suggestions.Enjoy.

Latest Discussions