Gurkha returned to UK to face court martial for beheading Taliban CO

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-dead-Taliban-in-dock/articleshow/6185019.cms

I googled the relevent words and found several news stories all basically the same.

It seems that a gurkha serving in a British command made a quick decision in the field....and chose wrong. His unit was in a fire fight with Taliban insurgents in Afgahnistan and were told that they were looking for a specific commander as thier main target. They were told that they would need proof to verify that they had killed the correct man. They took out thier target and were retreating with the body of the dead commander when they came under heavy fire and felt they couldn`t bring the body out with them. So a quick thinking gurkha cut off the head to take with them for IDing later. Turns out that not only is that considered very offensive to the Afghans, it`s also against the Geneva convention.( I thought that only dealt with POWs) So the gurkha is being sent back to the UK to be brought up on charges.

I couldn`t find it when I returned to look for it, but in one story the reporter gave his opinion that if the Afghans are so offended by beheadings, they should tell thier own people that. Apparently they recently executed 14 people that way. The other stories pointed out that the Afghans` main objection is that bodies and all thier parts need to be buried together. Makes you think he could`ve saved himself alot of grief by carrying a digital camera.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I can say is, war is HELL, sh-t happens, people die.

Latest Discussions