Gun "buyback" nets a TOW case

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yea they really pulled alot of guns off the street. Thank god it was not loaded.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I see 'thankfully' and 'thank god', but I'm really wondering if it is scarier that ONLY the case was turned in?!?!?! ;)

Found this sad note at the end of the article:

"Somebody took really good care of this," said Williams, holding a .308-caliber M1-A Springfield rifle worth about $1,500. "I'd bet a body part this was never used in a crime."

It has me wondering what the story is behind it.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm thinking they need a new clause in there, 'We reserve the right to keep certain weapons'.
Thing is though, it's not the bad guys usually turning in weapons, they're around the corner offering $100 bucks to the guy walking up to the 'buyback'.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I see 'thankfully' and 'thank god', but I'm really wondering if it is scarier that ONLY the case was turned in?!?!?! ;)

Found this sad note at the end of the article:

"Somebody took really good care of this," said Williams, holding a .308-caliber M1-A Springfield rifle worth about $1,500. "I'd bet a body part this was never used in a crime."

It has me wondering what the story is behind it.

cases like that can be bought at some Army surplus stores. the one down the road sells them for $20 a piece. don't really see a whole lot of use for them though. when that story first broke a couple days ago, I think the headline was something like, "Man turns in rocket launcher at gun turn-in amnesty." i saw the pic and laughed my *** off. i'm sure the story got a ton of hits on drudgereport but was total BS.

on another note, i would have traded 5 pair of shoes and a lobster dinner for a nice M1.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
I bet that M1 could have brought 800 to 1k.... instead some fool:shock: walked away with, what, $50??

Well, with that off the street. at least the crime rate will now drop 75%...

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I bet that M1 could have brought 800 to 1k.... instead some fool:shock: walked away with, what, $50??

Well, with that off the street. at least the crime rate will now drop 75%...

I'm afraid that it wasn't the rightful owner that turned it in for the $50 gift certificate. Or, perhaps someone inherited it and didn't realize what they had. Kind of like the lady selling her dearly departed husband's old Chevy out in the barn cheap trying to get rid of it, not realizing that old 'piece of junk' is a vintage Vette!

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Any and all of these are possibilities....

Slothfulness = getting snaked most every time.

I can understand not wanting something - but do some work, get some opinions and offers from dealers.

The collector who leaves stuff when they die is almost as much to blame when the heirs get taken.... I've made it a point of letting my wife and kids know what I have, and leaving labels with values with much of it.

When I go to the Infernal Regions, they should do quite well.... wonder if that has anything to do with the funny taste dinners have had lately...

Mr. E

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Would someone please tell me something.

According to the article, at least four guns turned in had been reported stolen.

So, you are telling me that the guys that turned them in just walked away free? No punishment for being part of a crime? They didn't even get the names?

And the original owners will not get them back? Just melted down, right?

What would happen under this program with its promise of no prosecution if one of these pistols was later found to have been used in the killing of a police officer? Again, did they even get the names of the people turning these things in?

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Would someone please tell me something.

According to the article, at least four guns turned in had been reported stolen.

So, you are telling me that the guys that turned them in just walked away free? No punishment for being part of a crime? They didn't even get the names?

And the original owners will not get them back? Just melted down, right?

What would happen under this program with its promise of no prosecution if one of these pistols was later found to have been used in the killing of a police officer? Again, did they even get the names of the people turning these things in?

i agree with your concern my friend. however, the goal of this operation was taking guns off the street with bribery and amnesty. i don't know which is worse; the guns or the method used here.

i agree with another poster who stated, "i'd bet a body part that gun wasn't used in a crime."

i don't imagine a lot of criminals showed up that day to trade their "piece" for a pair of sneakers.

SeanKerby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The missle tube for a TOW? Probably found it somewhere. Funny, that's my MOS in the Corps......TOW Gunner, what a day!

Latest Discussions