Guitar Hero or Rock Band?

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am about to get my 8 year old boys either Guitar Hero (with the full band set) or Rock Band for their PS2.
Which one should I get them? I grew up on video games and keep up with what is going on, but never really play. I love my Frets on Fire PC game, but only play it about 10 minutes a month.
Does Guitar Hero have a "free play" mode? Will we be able to just do a jam session? Can typical 8-10 year olds handle the songs that come on the World Tour PS2 game?
I am leaning towards the Guitar Hero over Rock Band, but want to hear opinions.

AoG

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Did you purchase it yet?
Trust me kids will pick it up VERY quickly.

Actually if you get 1, the instruments will work for the other game as well.
Just have to decide which onsturment set you like better, GH or RB.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have Rock Band, and I recently picked up Guitar Hero: Metallica. Game play is similar enough in both that they're almost interchangeable. The one beef that I have with Guitar Hero: Metallica is that I find it difficult to save my progress. The only "Save" button I've found is buried deep within the "Customize Player" section (which I have no interest in anyway), and it seems to work inconsistently. OTOH, I'm not one for reading the instructions, so it may be that there's an easier way to do it. But if there is, then the controls aren't intuitive enough to find it on your own.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
The only real difference is the song lists. The guitar hero songs tend to be a bit harder (in the Rock n Roll/Metal sense of the word...not difficulty) while Rock Band tends to choose from a wider variety of songs...more pop stuff. I love both games.

I say get one game with the full set of gear...then maybe pick up a used copy of the other game for cheap. But....I'm a bit of a games/music junky.

Peace,
Erik

Latest Discussions