Group Objects To Catalog

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Their voiced opinion includes demands on others to alter their behavior.

I mean, how can you tell from a picture that two guys and the boys are a 'gay' couple and their kids? It could be unrelated males, or brothers, or in-laws...

Good points. Ballen is just trying to grasp at straws and twist words to help his theory.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Their voiced opinion includes demands on others to alter their behavior.
So does every other group out there. When the NAACP asked people to boycott Denny's was that not asking people to alter their behavior. When people demanded Rush be removed from the air for calling the college student a hooker that's the same thing. A group sees something they don't like and demand action it happens every day

mean, how can you tell from a picture that two guys and the boys are a 'gay' couple and their kids? It could be unrelated males, or brothers, or in-laws...

I don't know how the group figured out they were a gay couple in the catalog but they were apparently correct

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
So why is it OK for you to voice your opinion about the group but its not OK for them to voice their opinion?
I'm just stumbling through this thread, so I might be missing posts after this one. But this post touches on what I see as a very common misunderstanding, and it crops up around here all the time. People are perfectly entitled to hold whatever opinion they'd like, even if it's despicable.

However, when you voice an opinion, you are going to get a reaction of some kind, whether positive or negative, and if it's hate speech or something offensive, you might be inviting some kind of reprisals.

What seems to have happened here, though, takes that one step further, where a group is attempt to exert influence over a situation based on their opinion and THAT'S where you end up experiencing a lot of push back. This happens all the time. A group will try to boycott another group and then try to say, 'Well, I'm only voicing my opinion.' Well, no, you're not. You're trying to change other peoples' behavior so that it conforms to your opinion, and it's reasonable to expect some kind of opposition.

And as with all things human nature, the more extreme your position, the more vehement the opposition.

I personally don't like statements such as, "Yeah, well, the reason I can voice my opinion is that mine isn't hate speech/evil/wrong/stupid/whatever." This is the other side of the same coin. You are welcome to voice your opinion and I'm perfectly okay sharing my opinion, that you're an idiot. ("you" in general, not anyone specific here)

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
First off-did no one notice that the group, "One Million Moms," (and it's probably more like 75,000 moms, but whatever) was urging that its own members boycott Penney's? Not a general boycott, not that Penney's be closed down, but that it's own members send the catalogue back and close out their credit cards?

Big whoop. I urge people not to buy Fords all the time, for equally silly reasons-I even tease them about it:"A real friend wouldn't have bought a Mustang, they'd have bought a Challenger or a 'Cuda..." :lol:

I mean, they can tell their membership to do whatever they want-this groups been after Penney's to not have Ellen Degeneres be their spokesperson. Tellingly, they probably didn't notice the lesbian couple featured in the Pennney's mother's day catalog, because the women just looked like a couple of women playing with kids. Tellingly, to their small minds, a couple of guys playing with some children must be gay guys.

Whatever. The Mayan calendar comes to an end in a little more than 196 days, and this is the best topic of discussion we can find to spend time on? What a few silly old biddies in Dallas think of a second tier department store's catalogue? :lfao:

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Whatever. The Mayan calendar comes to an end in a little more than 196 days, and this is the best topic of discussion we can find to spend time on? What a few silly old biddies in Dallas think of a second tier department store's catalogue? :lfao:

LOL! I just figured it was an interesting topic....apparently I was mistaken. :) OTOH, I can probably point to a few topics myself, in various areas, that are probably not as 'chat worthy' as others, but, people still post them.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
LOL! I just figured it was an interesting topic....apparently I was mistaken. :) OTOH, I can probably point to a few topics myself, in various areas, that are probably not as 'chat worthy' as others, but, people still post them.

Not at all-it is an interesting topic, but what of it, really? I mean, Jewish organizations don't even have to encourage their membership to not eat pork, and I don't think there's been a reported case of trichinosis from even feral hogs in the last 50 years in this country.......no one objects to their objecting to pork, though, or cheeseburgers, or shrimp, or catfish....

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not at all-it is an interesting topic, but what of it, really? I mean, Jewish organizations don't even have to encourage their membership to not eat pork, and I don't think there's been a reported case of trichinosis from even feral hogs in the last 50 years in this country.......no one objects to their objecting to pork, though, or cheeseburgers, or shrimp, or catfish....

That is true. I certainly can't argue with you on that. :) I'd take a guess and say the main fuss of it all is the anti-gay, stereo-typing, but thats just a guess. Hey, FWIW, I could care less who JCP has in their catalogs...gay, straight, doesnt matter to me...if there's something I need and JCP has it, I'll buy it. I'm not going to be so 'offended' and not shop there because of grown men and kids in an ad.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
That is true. I certainly can't argue with you on that. :) I'd take a guess and say the main fuss of it all is the anti-gay, stereo-typing, but thats just a guess. Hey, FWIW, I could care less who JCP has in their catalogs...gay, straight, doesnt matter to me...if there's something I need and JCP has it, I'll buy it. I'm not going to be so 'offended' and not shop there because of grown men and kids in an ad.

Yes. Perhaps the Louisiana Shrimp Association should start a campaign to get Jews to start eating shrimp, in order to increase their market share-something protesting their unnecssary "boycott" of their product.......

,.,,,,,no, wait-they're more concerned with the Gulf oil spill, and its after effects putting them out of business....

nevermind. :lol:

Latest Discussions