Grandmasters

H

Hanzo04

I was wondering. what is it that makes MA's like Dr. Hatsumi, Jhoon Rhee, funakoshi Sensei, and the Old Aikido master (sorry i can't spell his name) so great? is it persaverence, determination, leadership capabilities what?

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What makes the true Grandmasters great?

1. Absolute dedication to their art. They have focused their energy into a particular style, much like a gardner who devotes his time to nurturing a plant.

2. Putting the needs of students and their art above material wants. Noone gets rich teaching Tae Kwon Do, it should be a labor of love.

3. Living the ideals of the art. True Masters and Grandmasters exemplify what their art teaches, physically, mentally, and philosophically.

4. Always striving to further their understanding of their art and adding to it. That doesn't mean just adding Hapkido techniques to a Tae Kwon Do program. That means understanding what the techniques are about, down to the most basic actions.

OP
O

OC Kid

Longevity
Honor
Dedication
Discipline
Knowledge
Spirit

OP
L

Littledragon

Hanzo04 said:
I was wondering. what is it that makes MA's like Dr. Hatsumi, Jhoon Rhee, funakoshi Sensei, and the Old Aikido master (sorry i can't spell his name) so great? is it persaverence, determination, leadership capabilities what?
It is everything from wisdom, dedication, determination, spiritualism, and pure genious in their art. Masters like those are true geniouses in martial arts. What makes grand masters like them is dedication in their martial art. They put so much dedication and passion to their martial art, that is why they become such fabulous martial artists. But know matter how hard they practice the reason why they are as they are is because martial arts is their life.

OP
L

Littledragon

OC Kid said:
Longevity
Honor
Dedication
Discipline
Knowledge
Spirit
I completly agree with you. One must have spirit in martial arts because that is the second have of martial ARTS.

OP
H

Hanzo04

yeah that's his name. he is definitely won of the greatest martial arts teachers of all time in my opinion!

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A-1. I showed one of my "aikido doesnt work" friends a clip of him from...I dont remember the year, and he was hooked after that. His words are even better known than his abilities, for they speak volumes about his technical skill.