Motivating Students

O

OC Kid

What type of cliches or saying do you use to teach principals and ways of life to your students.
I tell mine things like:

Readers are Leaders

The more you Learn the More you Earn.

Good Luck is the result of hard work

if someone is good at making excuses, thats about all yhey'll ever be good at.

In my fighting classes I say ( got these from Mr. Bob White)

He who hesitates meditates, In a horizontal position.

Why is karate like Christmas? Because its better to give than recieve.

Others I use are;

Fights are won and lost in the gym!

Nothing is free no one is going to give you anything, how many times has some walked up to you and gave you 100 bucks????? Never cuz you have to earn it.

from Mr. Dan Anderson The Situation dictates the response....

so what saying do you guys use???

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Really the only one I think of is when I'm helping someone, and they're rushing to get through the technique.

"Why are you in a hurry to be so bad?"

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OC Kid said:
What type of cliches or saying do you use to teach principals and ways of life to your students.
so what saying do you guys use???
OC Kid this is fun...:boing1:

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win...Mahatma Gandhi ~ :) THIS ONE IS MY FAVE

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it...Salvador Dali

No pain no gain!

A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice...Bill Cosby

There's no cryin' in Karate! No cryin'!

Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens...Jimmy Hendrix

Eighty percent of success is showing up...Woody Allen

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength...Arnold Schwarzenegger

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times...Bruce Lee

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance...Confucius

As a joke or for fun tell your students if they thank you too much or try too hard:

Gratitude is a sickness, suffered by dogs :) ...Joseph Stalin
If at first you don't succeed, give up.' If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing. Doh!'...Homer Simpson :)

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I tell them to always try their best; also: it doesn't matter how it looks to anyone else - they have to answer only to themselves.

For my little guys - the four year olds - wow - you look like a black belt. Works every time.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kenpo tiger said:
For my little guys - the four year olds - wow - you look like a black belt. Works every time.
Awwwwwww....how cute!

OP
T

TKD USA

My instructor tells me

Aww!, don't block the kick with your head!

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't have any sayings. They either want it or they don't. If they want it, they don't need cliches. If they don't want it, cliches won't help them.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Compassion from a position of strengh??

Sweat now, talk later!

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
I don't have any sayings. They either want it or they don't. If they want it, they don't need cliches. If they don't want it, cliches won't help them.
Even for children? Or don't you teach kids?

OP
O

OC Kid

Difference between winners and losers..The winners will do what the losers wont.

The difference between a wish and want. A wish is something you hope for and dream about, a want is something you work for and you will get it after working hard for it.

You dont get a B/B by lottery you get it through hard work.

Learn to punch by punching you learn to kick by kicking. If you dont want to practice go home and watch Jackie Chan Movies you have the same result.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
kenpo tiger said:
Even for children? Or don't you teach kids?
I do teach kids. I've actually found one or two bits of wisdom that seem to work that I learned from my Instructor:

Make energy.
Try again.

It's actually a good thing I don't use the "motivational quips" my Grandmaster used on me. I don't think the students could handle "Stupid" and "No good!" His deficiency in English prohibited him from really explaining what he wanted us to do. Aside from the fact that his intensity during teaching was extaordinary.

He was never into saying or motivational quips. You either practiced or you did not. I should quantify what I stated before: If the students are not into what they are doing, motivational sayings really won't work. As an Instructor, it is my job to keep their interest by helping them understand that what they are doing actually has a purpose. I do that by showing what certain techniques are actually doing. It's one thing to try to keep a student interested with sayings, which can be helpful BTW, and another to demonstrate what that technique is actually doing, which does keep their enthusiasm up.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
I do teach kids. I've actually found one or two bits of wisdom that seem to work that I learned from my Instructor:

Make energy.
Try again.

It's actually a good thing I don't use the "motivational quips" my Grandmaster used on me. I don't think the students could handle "Stupid" and "No good!" His deficiency in English prohibited him from really explaining what he wanted us to do. Aside from the fact that his intensity during teaching was extaordinary.

He was never into saying or motivational quips. You either practiced or you did not. I should quantify what I stated before: If the students are not into what they are doing, motivational sayings really won't work. As an Instructor, it is my job to keep their interest by helping them understand that what they are doing actually has a purpose. I do that by showing what certain techniques are actually doing. It's one thing to try to keep a student interested with sayings, which can be helpful BTW, and another to demonstrate what that technique is actually doing, which does keep their enthusiasm up.
I have a feeling we're misinterpreting what each said. I try to motivate the little ones by making their classes fun and having them learn at the same time. Because of their ages they won't be "into" practicing ma because they are doing it for fun - and, in a lot of cases, something to do with their friends. Kids also tend to fantasize more during ma than most adults do (I say most because the fantasy aspect has been beaten to death in at least one other thread.) They imagine themselves as Fire Rescue Heroes or other characters from the cartoons they watch. I have one little boy who will say he's so-and-so and make the noises the character does when he punches or kicks. It's a fundamental of dealing with kids (yours or someone else's) that if they're young, you get their attention by doing or saying something that sounds different to them - thus, not necessarily cliches in class, but motivational things like 'you did that like a black belt.':asian: :samurai: