Gracie matches and the UFC

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So… what you're saying is… Holm trained in "anti-grappling"…? And it beat a grappler?

Okay, I'm shocked… ha!

Yes. Fortunately for her it's not the "anti-grappling" you see in traditional martial arts.

Skullpunch

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes. Fortunately for her it's not the "anti-grappling" you see in traditional martial arts.

What the fukk is "anti-grappling" anyway? It sounds like some bullsh!t someone made up in some sad attempt to sell a new fad.

The footwork she used to prevent Ronda from being able to rush in and setup a takedown wasn't "anti-grappling", it was boxing.

Her takedown defense wasn't "anti-grappling", it was wrestling and judo.

Her ground defense wasn't "anti-grappling", it was wrestling and jiujitsu.

Skullpunch

Green Belt
Reaction score
I kinda already knew what you were referring to, and the point I was making is that "anti-grappling" isn't real. None of the techniques in those videos are part of any legit martial arts system that I know of. These are all just cash grabs aimed at people who don't want to train legit grappling for whatever reason. The krav video is the only one showing any techniques that might work against someone with a month of real grappling.

The point I was making is that Holly Holm didn't use any such made up thing as "anti-grappling". She defended takedowns and groundwork with wrestling/judo and bjj, just like everyone else that knows what they're doing. And her footwork from boxing made it harder for Ronda to get the angles she wanted when she tried to close the distance. That's all it was.

It's like I said in another thread, when you slip a jab you're not "anti-boxing", you're boxing. You used one boxing technique to defend against another. When you sprawl you're not "anti-wrestling". You're wrestling. When you escape side control you're not using "anti-jiujitsu", you're using jiujitsu (or wrestling, depending on the escape).

Latest Discussions