Goth Youths More Likely To Harm Selves... well DUH!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This recent study on the lifestyles of the Gothic style loving youths revealed that they are more likely to inflict harm to themselves or attempt suicide.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060417/hl_nm/goths_dc
I've known/know several goth-type people and would say that this study (while limited to a little over 1200 students) is in need of broadening their numbers.
I do know of several kids that wear the all black clothing and heavy eye-liners and the occasional black to dark red lipstick and have a morbid fascination with all things related to death. But their home lives are fairly normal and for these kids it'll be a phase for them to go through and grow out of. When asked about their family they hold no animosity towards them, and speak highly of them.
Still, I knew of one kid (15 yr old) while I lived in Texas... that kid bore watching closely. Their home life was abusive/alcoholic and thus that kid's fascination with the Gothic lifestyle was a manifestation of the pain and darkness of their day to day life. There was one suicide attempt but it was half-hearted and more likely a cry for attention than anything else. It took a little time but they managed to get out of the home and within a few months walked up to me sans all that symbolism of death, pain and misery... and I didn't even recognize them.
My personal conclusion to it is that the home environment will influence the kid's desire to inflict harm or suicide more than the influence of a death-darkness loving lifestyle. If they did a study of non-goth kids they may find their numbers relatively the same across the board. The Gothic lifestyle is the easiest to draw one's attention to it. Nobody would be concerned with the all -american clean cut highschool quarterback (with so-so grades) who lost a pivotal playoff game, there's always next year right?

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think it's necessarily "goth kids". I think troubled youth that already have issues are drawn to that particular "click" due to it's reputation for being "dark." Back in my day, it was the "metal heads" and Ozzy Osbourn and Judas Priest got blamed for all the teenage suicides.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
This recent study on the lifestyles of the Gothic style loving youths revealed that they are more likely to inflict harm to themselves or attempt suicide.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060417/hl_nm/goths_dc
I've known/know several goth-type people and would say that this study (while limited to a little over 1200 students) is in need of broadening their numbers.
I do know of several kids that wear the all black clothing and heavy eye-liners and the occasional black to dark red lipstick and have a morbid fascination with all things related to death. But their home lives are fairly normal and for these kids it'll be a phase for them to go through and grow out of. When asked about their family they hold no animosity towards them, and speak highly of them.
Still, I knew of one kid (15 yr old) while I lived in Texas... that kid bore watching closely. Their home life was abusive/alcoholic and thus that kid's fascination with the Gothic lifestyle was a manifestation of the pain and darkness of their day to day life. There was one suicide attempt but it was half-hearted and more likely a cry for attention than anything else. It took a little time but they managed to get out of the home and within a few months walked up to me sans all that symbolism of death, pain and misery... and I didn't even recognize them.
My personal conclusion to it is that the home environment will influence the kid's desire to inflict harm or suicide more than the influence of a death-darkness loving lifestyle. If they did a study of non-goth kids they may find their numbers relatively the same across the board. The Gothic lifestyle is the easiest to draw one's attention to it. Nobody would be concerned with the all -american clean cut highschool quarterback (with so-so grades) who lost a pivotal playoff game, there's always next year right?

A young Lady I know went through her Black phase. After the break up of her parents she actually stated wearing pastels, and non-hoodies. Although she could still put the black on and go out or wear color and go out.

Yet, I question the reports. 53% have tried to harm themselves and 47% have tried suicide. Is this coincidence that it adds up to 100%?

Also what is harm? Piercing of the nose or eye brow? Or are they talking about cutting and or punching their hands into walls?

I agree that those into the "Death" scene or darkness might be more likely to be depressed and hurt themselves, I jsut wish I could get more of the detailed data.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oooooh Yeah watch out for us spooky goths. We might hurt you or ourselves.

I don't believe you can take a study like that unless the researchers were also IN the lifestyle seriously for a couple reasons... First of all, Body Modification is "Cool" in that lifestyle, and that INCLUDES branding and scarification. Many goths that burn or cut do it for the actuall scars it leaves, and not because they want to hurt themselves... second, its funny to **** with the straights so you have to consider the source of anything they tell you to determine if they are serious or if they are ****ing with you.

But yeah, what a scary subculture.

Boo.

Attachments

• $john3.jpg
    $john3.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 90

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Oooooh Yeah watch out for us spooky goths. We might hurt you or ourselves.

I don't believe you can take a study like that unless the researchers were also IN the lifestyle seriously for a couple reasons... First of all, Body Modification is "Cool" in that lifestyle, and that INCLUDES branding and scarification. Many goths that burn or cut do it for the actuall scars it leaves, and not because they want to hurt themselves... second, its funny to **** with the straights so you have to consider the source of anything they tell you to determine if they are serious or if they are ****ing with you.

But yeah, what a scary subculture.

Boo.

That was kind of my point, just not as clear, :D

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
...I think its more "The depressed people turn goth" than "the goth people turn depressed".