Going to a new school

James HKD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've been studying MA at the same school for 6 years now. For the past three years I have wanted to pick up another art for many reasons that I believe will be beneficial to me. In no way do I have any quals with what I'm learning at my home dojang. Here is the spot that I'm in. I get to study for free, more or less, because of the work I've done for my dojang. The doors have always mananged to stay open by the grace of god. Would it be disrespectful to start learning at a different school but not pay for my lessons at my home dojang?

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your doing it with your current senseis blessing, then no. If he is fully aware of what you are doing and has no problem, then go for it. Honor and integrity are always the gold standard in true martial arts training...

OP
James HKD

James HKD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Of course. I wouldn't go behind my masters back for something like this. I'm far too honst, sometimes too honst for my own good. I just feel like it would be insulting if I told him that I wanted to train at another school. I'm just not sure how to approach a conversation like this. I do want to broaden my horizons as a martial artists but I dont want it to be like a slap in the face.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just be direct and straightforward. Tell him you'd like to supplement your current training by also exploring xxxxxx. Most instructors wouldn't take it as a slap in the face, they are more likely to see a benefit to your own training and perhaps even the school. As long as everything is above board, things tend to work out for the best.

OP
James HKD

James HKD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I appreciate your input. I'll try and find a way to put it across with as little friction as possible.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Of course. I wouldn't go behind my masters back for something like this. I'm far too honst, sometimes too honst for my own good. I just feel like it would be insulting if I told him that I wanted to train at another school. I'm just not sure how to approach a conversation like this. I do want to broaden my horizons as a martial artists but I dont want it to be like a slap in the face.

Heres what id do:

Tell him, that you have an Interest in Cross-Training in *Insert MA Here*, just to Explore different Perspectives, and perhaps Expand your overall Knowledge.

He probably wouldnt Disapprove anyway :)

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
In korea, in TKD, I have been told that when a person reaches 3rd Dan, they are often encouraged to learn and obtain a BB in another MA, but presumably return to their original art. This both to expand their knowledge, and to ensure they are committed to their original art. Then they will return to their original art and continue to Master and above skills.

Still, I know some teachers consider it disrespectful to wish to strike out on your own prior to being encouraged to do so.

As I recall, you have been studying Hapkido and Hankido. What other art were you considering?

OKenpo942

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I only see it as a conflict if the training falls at the same time. If not, I don't see why it matters. If it is on your time, do with YOUR time as you see fit. IMO, cross training can only benefit you.

I train with my home school on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The other 5 days of the week are mine to practice or to do whatever I want. I have no formal commitment to the school on those days. Just my thoughts.

OP
James HKD

James HKD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As I recall, you have been studying Hapkido and Hankido. What other art were you considering?
Yes this is true but classes are only offered once a week. I like the classroom setting and having a structured routine to work off of.
I was going to begin studying Toshindo. I'm lucky to have a 'Quest Martial Arts' school close to me. I'm probably a 30 minute drive to the school in Ann Arbor. I figured that Toshindo would be a good change of pace from HKD.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes this is true but classes are only offered once a week. I like the classroom setting and having a structured routine to work off of.
I was going to begin studying Toshindo. I'm lucky to have a 'Quest Martial Arts' school close to me. I'm probably a 30 minute drive to the school in Ann Arbor. I figured that Toshindo would be a good change of pace from HKD.

I had to look that up. I hadn't heard of it before that I recall.

If you are only going one day a week, I wouldn't think your teacher would object to you trying something else, and anything that interests you should be a good fit.