Give Advice to Fighter

Scout200

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you could give advice to a MMA fighter to improve how they fight, who would you give advice to and what would it be?

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you could give advice to a MMA fighter to improve how they fight, who would you give advice to

A fighter who asks for my advice.

Anyone else probably isn't going to receive my suggestions well or implement them.

and what would it be?

That, of course, depends on the fighter :)

But in general, I would say very, very many MMA fighters could benefit greatlyby investing some training time in precision striking — working focus, distance, timing.

Part of this is training out the flinch reflex so they are able to keep their eyes locked onto their opponent.

I see a whole lot more "swing and hope" striking than I would expect to see from professional fighters.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My advice would be to get a good manager. No amount of talent, good striking or good Jits is going to help if you don't fight on the right shows, or fight the right people. Fighters should only fight not try to coach or manage themselves.

OP
Scout200

Scout200

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A fighter who asks for my advice.

Anyone else probably isn't going to receive my suggestions well or implement them.

That, of course, depends on the fighter :)

But in general, I would say very, very many MMA fighters could benefit greatlyby investing some training time in precision striking — working focus, distance, timing.

Part of this is training out the flinch reflex so they are able to keep their eyes locked onto their opponent.

I see a whole lot more "swing and hope" striking than I would expect to see from professional fighters.

Ha, nicely said!

OP
Scout200

Scout200

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would say:

Jon Fitch- Finish a fight!

Phil Baroni- "Stop."

Hughes - Retire

Kongo: - Stop what your doing and get some serious BJJ training and wrestling training for about 2 yrs, because what your doing right now isn't working for you.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say:

Jon Fitch- Finish a fight!

Phil Baroni- "Stop."

Hughes - Retire

Kongo: - Stop what your doing and get some serious BJJ training and wrestling training for about 2 yrs, because what your doing right now isn't working for you.

Ah an armchair critic then.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah an armchair critic then.

Tez3 always has a way of getting right to the point.

Scout-until you can beat them in at least one area(striking, wrestling, Jiujitsu, conditioning,...), don't give any advice. JMHO.

Mike Hamer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Aside from working technique, I would highly advise that the fighter work on developing a sense of calmness and relaxation before they enter the cage. It doesnt matter how much a fighter is trained, if they cannot remain calm and keep their adrenaline from taking over then their technique is going to go right through the window!
Not saying that there isnt merit in letting the adrenaline take over and becoming a blood thirsty animal in there hahaha, but if you ask me staying calm is the better route.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aside from working technique, I would highly advise that the fighter work on developing a sense of calmness and relaxation before they enter the cage. It doesnt matter how much a fighter is trained, if they cannot remain calm and keep their adrenaline from taking over then their technique is going to go right through the window!
Not saying that there isnt merit in letting the adrenaline take over and becoming a blood thirsty animal in there hahaha, but if you ask me staying calm is the better route.

Quickest way to lose the fight that lol! Your opponent will pick you off like a flea on a monkey. It's martial arts after all not berserking :)