Ginger Fist Gung Fu hands

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Nothing really to explain the phoenix eye punch in my flavor of Xingyiquan uses the index instead of the middle finger. The Wing Chun I did was the same as the link

OP
Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay because In my lineage of Wing Chun the Phoneix fist was also the Index finger. But the middle finger was a different fist. I can not remember the name. Because I do not practice it. Man I hate when I forget things.

Is there a site that show all the different kung fist and claws?

For instance.

1.Monkey Claw/Fist
2.Eagle Claw
3.Dragon Claw
4.Tiger Claw
5.Leopard Fist/Claw
6.Phoenix Fist
7.Cannon Fist
8.Snake Fist/Claw
9.Vertical Punch(Sun Fist)
10.Horizontal Punch

Does anyone know a site that shows all these fist along with the others?

Nothing really to explain the phoenix eye punch in my flavor of Xingyiquan uses the index instead of the middle finger. The Wing Chun I did was the same as the link

OP
Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have not found the various fist hand strikes on the net. But I have read about the cannon fist in certain books. An some of friends who do Chen Style Tai Chi Quan, Who do the Cannon fist punches the fist a certain way. Its hard to explain but its just the posistioning of fingers.

I am not sure there is a specific fist called cannon, but I would not be surprised if there is. But there are a few forms in Chinese Martial Arts called Cannon fist or Paoqui

Chen Taijiquan, Shaolin and Xingyiquan all have forms called cannon fist

OP
Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here is a List of some of Kung Fu hand forms and punches!

Please click the link and scroll down to the pictures

http://books.google.com/books?id=gHSAiZMhxhwC&pg=PA56&dq=kung+fu+hand+forms&lr=#PPA57,M1

Wing Chun Fist

leopard_punch.gif
Leopard or Ginger Fist

snake-hand.gif
Snake Hand or Bil Gee

crane-beak.gif
Crane Beak or Fok Sau

phoenix_eye.gif
Phoenix Eye Fist

vertical_fist.gif
Sun Fist(Vertical)

List of 18 Hand Forms in Kung Fu

1.LEOPARD PUNCH
2.PHOENIX-EYE PUNCH
3.LEVEL FISTS
4.SUN-CHARACTER FIST
5.ELEPHANT FISTS
6.WILLOW-LEAF PALM
7.TIGER CLAW
8.DRAGON HAND-FORM
9.DRAGON PALM
10.SNAKE HAND
11.EAGLE CLAW
12.SWORD FINGER
13.ONE-FINGER ZEN
14.CRAB PINCERS
15.CRANE BEAK
16.MONKEY PAW
17.PRAYING MANTIS HAND
18.HOOK HAND

http://www.chiquanshu.org/kung_fu/hand_forms.html

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have not found the various fist hand strikes on the net. But I have read about the cannon fist in certain books. An some of friends who do Chen Style Tai Chi Quan, Who do the Cannon fist punches the fist a certain way. Its hard to explain but its just the posistioning of fingers.

The Wing Chun I trained used the knuckle of the middle finger and the Xingyi I trained used the knuckle of the index finger

OP
Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
All the books I have seen that discuss Phoenix Eye Fist all use the index finger. All of Sifu's I have spoken with in my lineage and Yip Man lineage in my city all say its index finger too. Actually the middle finger is called something different than Phoenix Eye Fist. I do not rememer the term. But there is a book that shows one fist with middle finger. An then there is another fist where all the fingers knuckles are out. Kinda like leopard but totally different and kinda spread apart like stairs. Don't know the name of that one either. I see Tai Chi Chen sifu's doing their fingers like this when they do Cannon Fist. I asked this guy who does Chen Style what the fist is called he said Cannon Fist. But I haven't seen the book in some years.

The Wing Chun I trained used the knuckle of the middle finger and the Xingyi I trained used the knuckle of the index finger

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
All the books I have seen that discuss Phoenix Eye Fist all use the index finger. All of Sifu's I have spoken with in my lineage and Yip Man lineage in my city all say its index finger too. Actually the middle finger is called something different than Phoenix Eye Fist. I do not rememer the term. But there is a book that shows one fist with middle finger. An then there is another fist where all the fingers knuckles are out. Kinda like leopard but totally different and kinda spread apart like stairs. Don't know the name of that one either. I see Tai Chi Chen sifu's doing their fingers like this when they do Cannon Fist. I asked this guy who does Chen Style what the fist is called he said Cannon Fist. But I haven't seen the book in some years.

Could just be my lack of experience with Wing Chun speaking all I ever learned was Sil lim Tao and it was Yip Man Lineage. I am not sure at this point if my sifu ever called it phoenix eye or I just jump to the conclusion that is what it was called.

OP
Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Could just be my lack of experience with Wing Chun speaking all I ever learned was Sil lim Tao and it was Yip Man Lineage. I am not sure at this point if my sifu ever called it phoenix eye or I just jump to the conclusion that is what it was called.

Yea if you get books on the Phoenix eye they will all say the index finger. But hey check out these books? These are wing chun books online that speak of Phoenix Eye!

http://books.google.com/books?id=t36y4sRDkWMC&pg=PA57&dq=phoenix+Eye+fist+Wing+chun#PPA57,M1

http://books.google.com/books?id=BUH7afcq7xAC&pg=PA52&dq=phoenix+Eye+fist+Wing+chun

http://books.google.com/books?id=OTMshtGXiqoC&pg=PA405&dq=phoenix+Eye+fist+Wing+chun#PPA406,M1

This last book explains the Phoenix Eye Fist as well as shows pictures!
Scroll down to see the picture. These three books are all about Wing Chun. There books strickly devoted to Phoenix Eye training but I chose these three because they are wing chun books that disucss it!

Please read the small entries on phoenix eye fist and tell me what you think?