GI back patches

azmyth

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have 2 gi's that have a screenprinted logo on the back, that I want to cover up with a patch. Does anyone know where I can get large patches to go on the back of a jacket? Think "Karate Kid" and "Cobra Kai" type patches.

OP
azmyth

azmyth

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Both sites are great.

However not sure if either have what I am looking for. 123patch had closest I could find.

I have 2 gi's from a school I no longer go to, and they have the schools logo on the front and back screenprinted. Otherwise they are perfectly good uniforms, one is almost new.

I wanted to get some of those BIG patches for the back that would cover up the logo on the back..

its 11 ins wide and 7 ins tall. I found some that are plenty tall, but they don't give the width. I just don't want to chunk these perfectly good gi's because of a logo.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been ordering from martialartssupermarket.com for about 8 years also. I concur, they are great, with prices as well as delivery time and service.

I am not too happy with their service. They get irritated when I ask the total. They have my credit card on file and cannot tell me what the total will be. They have actually told me I would have to wait until the reciept came with the order.
I get the distinct feeling I am talking to some lady in her living room while she is reclining on her couch while wearing dirty fuzzy pink slippers (they are not too proffesional on the phone).
Of course, half the time they are out of the belts I order (yellow, orange, purple...), so I gave up on them a few months ago.
Still, their prices are good, but now that I have KWON and Bold Look, there is nothing I need from them.

AoG

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not too happy with their service. They get irritated when I ask the total. They have my credit card on file and cannot tell me what the total will be. They have actually told me I would have to wait until the reciept came with the order.
I get the distinct feeling I am talking to some lady in her living room while she is reclining on her couch while wearing dirty fuzzy pink slippers (they are not too proffesional on the phone).
Of course, half the time they are out of the belts I order (yellow, orange, purple...), so I gave up on them a few months ago.
Still, their prices are good, but now that I have KWON and Bold Look, there is nothing I need from them.

AoG
I think, and I am not certain, that they're the ones that got the address on my order wrong. Despite verifying it... It was only dumb luck that I figured out which of my neighbors got my package.

Yeah, I wasn't happy.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
azmyth, if you are not too cheap why don't you just pony up the bucks and buy new uniforms? They are not that expensive, uh, that is if it is important to you. If not, try some white spray paint, that might work too.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you want patches... you could just do what a couple of my students did when they transferred from other schools - buy a piece of heavy white fabric (thick enough to cover the screen printing - a bandanna might do, or you might need something heavier) and sew it over the screen printing.

Also, talk to your instructor - I don't really care what students wear when they work out, as long as it's a (reasonably) white uniform - the ones who sewed on white fabric, above, needed to do so for a tournament, where wearing the logo of a competing school (one that most people considered a McDojo) was not acceptable at all. The piece of fabric was my suggestion, rather than ask the parents to buy new uniforms for kids who were going to grow out of them soon enough anyway.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think the cost of new uniforms are just part of the price for switching schools. I've moved around the country several times in the last 8 years for career reasons and as a result I have 5 uniforms with patches and logos from my old schools. I just wear them when I am practicing at home or in an informal Friday evening or Saturday morning class. Luckily I'm in a dojo now where really no patches are used at all. Some of the senior students have the style name embroidered on the chest, but it's not required at all and Sensei generally just wears a plain uniform.

Reaction score

AoG

I believe they ship at whatever the current ground shipping rate is, so they can't give a total because they won't know the shipping until they get the package together and ship it.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the school patches. I only wear my style's patch; no school patch. (We don't even have one.) If one of my students goes elsewhere, and they can wear a black uniform, great. I would expect to have to wear a new style's patch, of course... But the uniforms with 18 different patches (style, school, black belt club, tournament team, etc.) are just, in my opinion, excessive.

Of course, all I require in most classes is black sweats, black t-shirt, and belt. When I buy someone a uniform, I keep the white belt that typically comes with it, so I have 'em to give out to new students. I usually don't push for a uniform until a student needs it for a tournament or similar event, or they've been around a while and are close to getting a patch. (We award the style patch, after some basics have been learned.) Why push 'em to buy a funny looking set of pajamas that they don't need, when they can spend around $15 at K-Mart or Target or somewhere like that on gear that they can actually use if they don't stick around?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think one should just spring for a new uniform. I too, have trained in more than one school & have a few uniforms with school patches on them. Out of respect for where my new school, I never wore old uniforms at the new school.

OP
azmyth

azmyth

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ahh i think I should have stated why I wanted to do such.

The uniforms are black, and they have a screen printed school logo on the back. I literally just bought one of them brand new, just before I decided I wasn't going back (I forgot my uniform that day, and didn't want to be the oddball that didn't have his). I'm mainly wanting to use them for tournaments, as they are actually a better quality than what students normally get. I may just buy new jackets and keep the pants. My new school only wears white uniforms, and like most schools I was given one upon joining so I have one to wear to class, but I just wanted to make use of the money I spent.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just my opinion but I was never a fan of patches at all. I prefer a gi so white it'll blind you without a thing on it. I've only ever worn two school patches on (both were small, in Japanese and on the left side of the chest) for Seido and Kyokushin, for Choi Kwang Do I had nothing at all on my gi (now dobuk).

I just find patches distracting, and most of them tend to be damn ugly and sometimes in the most garish colors.

OP
azmyth

azmyth

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't want to put patches on them, but it will be 100.00 down the drain unless I can find some way to make them non associated with a school. I guess if all else fails I will just work out in them at home.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't want to put patches on them, but it will be 100.00 down the drain unless I can find some way to make them non associated with a school. I guess if all else fails I will just work out in them at home.

Take your uniforms to a fabric store, and find a piece of fabric that matches, and is opaque enough to cover the silk screening. Buy a piece that is about 6" larger than what you need for the narrowest dimension for each uniform; when you get home, cut the longer dimension to the same margin. Buy thread to match while you're there. Use an iron, and iron a fold about 1/2" wide all the way around; fold again and repeat. If you know how to sew (hand or machine, whichever you know/have access to - machine is better) sew the fabric over the silk screening. If you don't know how to sew, find someone who does; this would be a pretty easy straight line, so it doesn't require a tailor, just someone who knows who to do basic sewing.

OP
azmyth

azmyth

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Take your uniforms to a fabric store, and find a piece of fabric that matches, and is opaque enough to cover the silk screening. Buy a piece that is about 6" larger than what you need for the narrowest dimension for each uniform; when you get home, cut the longer dimension to the same margin. Buy thread to match while you're there. Use an iron, and iron a fold about 1/2" wide all the way around; fold again and repeat. If you know how to sew (hand or machine, whichever you know/have access to - machine is better) sew the fabric over the silk screening. If you don't know how to sew, find someone who does; this would be a pretty easy straight line, so it doesn't require a tailor, just someone who knows who to do basic sewing.

so this would basically just be a square of black fabric that goes over the silk screen?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
so this would basically just be a square of black fabric that goes over the silk screen?

Yes. Some places sell black bandannas - I know Hobby Lobby does - that would be about the right size, and the last ones I bought were, I think, $0.87 each.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe they ship at whatever the current ground shipping rate is, so they can't give a total because they won't know the shipping until they get the package together and ship it.

I asked that, but they were able to tell me the total for the shipping, but she was writing down the order on paper, so didn't know the prices of the individual items.
The second time that happened, I gave up on them.

AoG

Latest Discussions