Gay Bashing in Amsterdam goes Unnoticed in US

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Gay Bashing in Amsterdam goes Unnoticed in US

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 6:54 pm - June 5, 2008.
LINK TO BLOG
EXCERPT:
Filed under: Gay Media, Gay Politics, Gays in Other Lands
While blogging from the Santa Barbara retreat of the David Horowitz Freedom Center, I contended that:
the greatest enemies of gay people are not social conservatives in the West who may question (what they call) our lifestyle and oppose legislation benefiting us, but Islamic theocrats who execute gay people in jurisdictions where they predominate and seek to destroy the nations with political systems which allow us to live freely.
Well, it seems the threat in not just from such theocrats in nations where they hold sway, but also from angry followers of their anti-gay doctrine in Western lands. At that retreat, I met a nice and intelligent Dutch gay lesbian who told me about a gay-bashing on April 30 in the Netherlands. She has since translated articles from the Dutch press (included with links below the “jump”).
At a fashion show to promote tolerance of gay people on April 30, a national holiday in Holland, celebrating the birthday of the late Queen Juliana, a group of ten Muslim youths dragged gay model Mike Du Pree down from the catwalk, beating him up and breaking his nose. A second model who tried to help out was also attacked.
I could find no reference to this beating on any of the gay news web-sites I checked, including 365gay.com, the Advocate, the Washington Blade as well as sites of the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) and National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF). (I did searches on each of these sites for “Amsterdam.”) Why is it HRC is so eager to savage John McCain, yet reluctant to condemn real gay-bashing? And such gay-bashing (as our friend Chris Crain knows from first-hand experience) is a growing phenomenon in the Netherlands.
(((END EXCERPT)))
Maybe we need a minority equivalent to Most Favored Nation status, Most Favored Minority, or some such thing...

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm geussing that these groups are mostly U.S. based, so it's probably a matter of "well, people hate us, we want to do something, and clearly we're less hated here". My geuss is that they are picking there battles (become "legit." here, and then try to help in other countries). Or, they just don't see how it effects there actual members. Who knows.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why is it HRC is so eager to savage John McCain, yet reluctant to condemn real gay-bashing?

Oh Sweet Jesus, this is such a stupid, disingenuous right wing shill hack job of an argument. These groups condemn that sort of gay bashing ALL THE ****ING TIME! BIG SURPRISE that the right has selective listening skills when it comes to this sort of thing. Also disingenuous as **** considering right wing opposition to hate crimes legislation, pro-gay education, and a plethora of other measures designed to reduce gay bashing here and abroad.

The right doesn't have the requisite integrity to make this argument on this issue.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
why do people around the world, in almost every culture in recorded history, have such disdain (or even hatred) for homosexuals?

Has any culture ever been as tolerant of homosexuality as we are today?

What do we, on the whole, gain from forcing people who believe it is immoral to supress their beliefs?

(not making an obtuse point, I'm really wondering)

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I never understood the hate for people's habits in the bedroom. Life's too tough for us to beat on people for something so insignificant as who they wish to share their lives with.

I'm the uncle to a baby from a gay union and my roommate works for one of the major gay rights movments and I also take part in helping the cause.

Ignorance has always set one group against the other, be it a division of color, language, government, etc. All the small things tha separate one group from the other tends to be screwed up by ignorance into an us against them situation. Rather we should be looking at all that makes us the same.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why do people around the world, in almost every culture in recorded history, have such disdain (or even hatred) for homosexuals?

What do we, on the whole, gain from forcing people who believe it is immoral to supress their beliefs?

The Greeks and Spartans were more than tolerant. it's generally accepted by historians that homosexuality was not frowned upon and in some cases postively encouraged in ancient Greece.
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/pwh/greekeros.html
http://ancienthistory.about.com/library/weekly/aa072099.htm

http://www.truthtree.com/pederasty.shtml

The last link may contain more information that you actually need! it does cite it's sources at the end though.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Various American Indian tribes were extremely tolerant of homosexuality.

Supress their beliefs, how, exactly?

If they think homosexuality is immoral, then they shouldn't practice it.'

If they choose to express their beliefs, that's fine and dandy, as long as that expression doesn't consist of illegal discrimination, harassment or violence.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Big Don,
You might be interested in doing a search on Bruce Bawer; he has written a lot of interesting articles on this subject. He is also the author of a book called While Europe Slept, which I have not yet read. The interesting thing is that after writing a book called Stealing Jesus, in which he argues that Christian fundamentalists in the US betray the tenets of Christianity with their intolerance toward homosexuality, he and his partner decided to move to more tolerant Amsterdam and then to Oslo. What he found was increasing hostility toward gays, mostly from Middle Eastern immigants.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Greeks and Spartans were more than tolerant. it's generally accepted by historians that homosexuality was not frowned upon and in some cases postively encouraged in ancient Greece.
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/pwh/greekeros.html
http://ancienthistory.about.com/library/weekly/aa072099.htm

http://www.truthtree.com/pederasty.shtml

The last link may contain more information that you actually need! it does cite it's sources at the end though.

There was more then that. The Samurai considered love between men more masculine (let's not tell that to people who think homosexuals have characteristics of the opposite sex). It is speculated that Alexander the Great was gay (he's Macedonian, and they want to be considered sperate from the rest of Greece). There was a while when the Catholic Church outlawed celebrating Christmas, because men would get drunk, give each other presentes, beat there wives, and have sex with each other. It was a carry over from the pagan holidays of the Romans. It was not uncommon for there to be massive amounts of incest amoung the Egyptians (especially Royalty), and some assume that there was even some gay-loven gonna on. I think there was even a gay Aztec god. Sorry, cann't site any sources....

Latest Discussions