Gary Forbach, Panther series

Eviscerate

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Can anyone offer a review? I sent for these tapes, (sorry John ;), these are 1/2 the price of yours) to get an idea about this art. From what ive seen im going to be very pleased and will later invest in the w.k.o. version, im looking for striking that makes sense, hopefully these are it...

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eviscerate said:
Can anyone offer a review? I sent for these tapes, (sorry John ;), these are 1/2 the price of yours) to get an idea about this art. From what ive seen im going to be very pleased and will later invest in the w.k.o. version, im looking for striking that makes sense, hopefully these are it...

They're excellent tapes with good production qualities. They don't contain all the techniques that are on the WKO series, but they do have a volume with a interview of Sijo Emperado, and a volume on tournament sparring. They were made in 1986.
After the bad business experience with Panther (if you ever sign a book or video contract, make sure to consult an attorney) it was decided to produce the WKO series. The WKO series was made more user friendly, since the user only had to buy one tape at a time per belt, instead of buying the whole series to get all the techniques for one belt.
The WKO series were personally supervised by Sijo Emperado, so a small number of the techniques are differant then the Panther tapes. The WKO tapes also have "advanced alphabet techniques" that are not on the Panther series.
The WKO dvd's are more important to the Kajukenbo stylist because of all the imput and participation Sijo Emperado has in them. And also the fact that Sijo does receive royalties from the sale of these DVD's, unlike the Panther tapes.
For anyone outside the Kajukenbo ohana, the Panther tapes are well produced and a excellent representation of the Kajukenbo system, at a good price.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Eviscerate said:

I'll add on here with my own opinion. I found the WKO tapes/dvds to be some of the best produced and user friendly tapes going. They are completely no-nonsense and easy to understand. Each technique is given a couple of times at full speed and then at medium speed then SLOW speed with voice over step by step explanations.They're also done from various angles. The filming was done by some fellow that used to produce (and may still for all I know) music videos, so it's not like someone set up a tripod and filmed it with the garage light on. Good stuff. I had the tapes about a year before I started training in Kajukenbo and they really helped to convince me to begin training.

OP
E

Eviscerate

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Nice guys, sounds like im in for a treat. From what ive seen on the web so far this style is not gonna dissapoint me and ill likely pick up the wko material around christmas time. Thing is I wanted something to crosstrain with as well and so chose Paks TSD panther series. I will be learning these mostly dry, on my own due to time constraints but ive had 6 years of martial arts pior to this so hopefully ill catch on with out any problems. =) Thanks for the info.