Garuda Knife Movement With Stevan Benitez

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Brian, do you use a low stance a lot with a blade? Any tips on how to get used to it and how I can take advantage of being in one?

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Buka,

I usually am upright with bent knees and on the balls of my feet for quick movement. Think explosive and fast.

Of course there are times when you will plant your weight and or move down into a lower position based on your opponents position and movement. (ie. if they are on the ground, etc.) Another time would be when you are moving in quietly for surprise and trying to give a low profile or silhouette of yourself.

you can see in these video's where we start upright and then go to the ground

The only way to get used to that style of low movement with a blade is to do it regularly and build up that leg and knee strength. This is of course harder for us westerners (though certainly not impossible) than people who live in a place where they regularly are sitting on the floor, etc. They develop great leg and knee strength early on in their lives. Once leg strength and balance is developed it is easy. You just have to develop the ability to move through the levels, etc.

Last edited:

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
just fyi, kungfu has ways to develop good knees, by doing low stances.
while us in west java, we used the monkey walk.
we walk like monkey, straight back, and hip as low as possible but not too low, just until our leg start to sound boom boom boom when landing on the floor.

D

Dylan9d

I think Steve Benitez is a very interesting teacher. Its a shame that no one known is carrying forth the style of Ma Prem here in Holland.

Would love to study that.

Was thinking to start studying with Frans Stroeven, that isn't Silat i know, but with my own Eskrima experiences i think his stuff would be a nice addition

tiga

White Belt
Reaction score
Dylan9d, if you are interested in Silat and want to train primarily in effectiveness, you could also consider Pukulan Pentjak Silat Bukti Negara. There are schools in the Netherlands.

D

Dylan9d

Already had a lesson.

Decided to go my own way.

Still thanks for the offer R...

;)

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Brian, do you use a low stance a lot with a blade? Any tips on how to get used to it and how I can take advantage of being in one?

Hey Buka,

I usually am upright with bent knees and on the balls of my feet for quick movement. Think explosive and fast.

Of course there are times when you will plant your weight and or move down into a lower position based on your opponents position and movement. (ie. if they are on the ground, etc.) Another time would be when you are moving in quietly for surprise and trying to give a low profile or silhouette of yourself.

The only way to get used to that style of low movement with a blade is to do it regularly and build up that leg and knee strength. This is of course harder for us westerners (though certainly not impossible) than people who live in a place where they regularly are sitting on the floor, etc. They develop great leg and knee strength early on in their lives. Once leg strength and balance is developed it is easy. You just have to develop the ability to move through the levels, etc.

In the training I've been exposed to most of the low stances are used in leg attacks or in coordination with a takedown. When in a situation where one is in control of the weapon arm and performing a takedown we will lower ourselves with the opponent rather than holding onto an outstretched arm with a weapon against our body and the possibility of the blade being drawn across the body if losing control of the arm. The low stance allows control of the opponent's arm and/or body yet allowing one to quickly disengage rather than being in a ground fighting position like wrestling or bjj.

D

Dylan9d

I got the offer to train with Steve in a distant instructors program. I decided to start training with Glenn Lobo :)

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well if you are training with Glenn in person that is always the right way to go! I'm not a fan of distant learning instructor programs.

D

Dylan9d

Glenn is a really good teacher with alot of knowledge, and he is not only a Silat teacher but also a higher ranked practitioner/instructor in Lightning Arnis. So yes alot of knowledge there. Ofcourse I'm also training my own stuff.

Upcoming week me and my traininspartner are going to have a little trip to Antoine Segers, this is also a very skilled teacher in Holland, he teaches a style called Basupi.

www.basupi.nl

tiga

White Belt
Reaction score
Dylan9d, ah now i have a clue who you are ;)
If i can give you one word of advice, try to focus on one thing and give it some time to understand what the style is about. Don't think you can judge properly after one or two trainings, even if you have some experience in other arts. Offcourse it's not easy to find a proper style that fits you. Am curious what you thought of Basupi, Antoine is a really good guy!

Latest Discussions