Fun stuff to shoot at!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
When I used to drink a lot of aluminium canned energy drinks and still had a functional pellet pistol, they were my target of choice. They're extra nice for avoiding ricochets (pellet traps aren't always great, in my experienc). As to real firearms, I don't know enough.

Wasn't that kind of an old west thing as well? Shooting guns at cans? Or was that just in the movies? ;)

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
The local outdoor range has a "plinking pond" We shoot Marshmallows with a .22, if you hit them right they "pop" out of the water and then land back down.

The real test of a marksmen would be to hit the marshmallow on the way back down.:snipe:

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One thing I used to do a long time ago was to take simple air balloons and let them lose upwind. The guy who let them lose (we took turns) was at least 20 yards upwind from the line of shooting and would still run like hell to get behind the rest of us. Once he was there, the rest would let loose on the moving targets.

Another one we did whenever we got an area that was slightly at an angle was to get an old tire, fill the hole in the center with a peice of cardboard with a bullseye painted on it and roll it past the shooters. That actually works best if you have only two people since they can take turns and compare their scores without confusion. When you got a lot of people shooting at the same time, the balloons are better for feedback.

I am thinking of getting some of those standups they sell for targets. There are several availible for Star Wars and are life size. I use air soft now, so they should last for years. I can't seem to find Hillary anymore. But the clone trooper, Boba Fett, Darth Maul and General Grevious should be nice to plant around the yard for multiple person drills.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
One thing I used to do a long time ago was to take simple air balloons and let them lose upwind. The guy who let them lose (we took turns) was at least 20 yards upwind from the line of shooting and would still run like hell to get behind the rest of us. Once he was there, the rest would let loose on the moving targets.

Shooting shotguns I hope.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
Wasn't that kind of an old west thing as well? Shooting guns at cans? Or was that just in the movies? ;)
I'm reasonable sure there were no aluminum cans in the Old West... :uhyeah:

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisandyz said:
Shooting shotguns I hope.

No, that was the challenge. You needed a self loader with a full magazine. Targets that small moving unpredictably are really hard to hit. But it is great practice.

I used a Ruger 10/22 and don't want to say how many balloons I usually got before I had to reload.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I guess I'm not all that much fun. The vast majority of my shooting is done at human size targets, practicng practical application type shooting like double tap to the torso, followed by one to the head, done from various distances.

For me, my body is the challenge. For instance, at 12 to 20 feet (the range most gunfights appear to occurr in), it is all good. But I seem to have the greatest challenge at 50 - 60 feet with my .357 with the 2 1/2 inch barrel. Then it seems to become a matter of the quality of the training of the human machine and not the Smith and Wesson machine.

Although I am not adverse to shooting can up in the air. :)

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sigung86 said:
I guess I'm not all that much fun. The vast majority of my shooting is done at human size targets, practicng practical application type shooting like double tap to the torso, followed by one to the head, done from various distances.

For me, my body is the challenge. For instance, at 12 to 20 feet (the range most gunfights appear to occurr in), it is all good. But I seem to have the greatest challenge at 50 - 60 feet with my .357 with the 2 1/2 inch barrel. Then it seems to become a matter of the quality of the training of the human machine and not the Smith and Wesson machine.

Although I am not adverse to shooting can up in the air. :)

I have never tried to shoot cans in the air, it sounds like fun. Just a little worried about embarassing myself with my lack of..uh...precision :D

William

White Belt
Reaction score
Cans, water bottles, deer, etc are all fun. I want to shoot one of thos damn BlackBerries.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For those of you shooting cans in the air with pistols/rifles or balloons floating in the air with a rifle..just remember safety rule #3. Be sure of your target and know what lies behind it. If your shooting projectiles up in the air at an angle how do you know what lies behind it a mile away? Thats why I made the "shotgun" comment.

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a950414b.html

Latest Discussions