freestyle techniques

L

lotstolearn

what are they, where do they fit into the kenpo curriculum, and
would most schools include them? I'd love to know. thanks.

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If I am thinking of the right thing- they are different combinations used for sparring. They've never been really stressed all that much by my instructors, but I know that other schools teaching the same style (American Kenpo) do teach and stress them in the lower ranks especially. I remember seeing them on all my old belt list papers thru green.........not sure if they go into the brown or black levels as well. Hope that helps a bit.

:asian: :karate:

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I used to absolutely hate the Freestyle Techniques.

Then one day I was working with Mr Gilbert Valez, and he showed me how to use them properly, rather than just as an exercise.

That got me thinking, an I soon began to see how they could relate to the Self Defence Techniques.

Now, with help from my mentors in the AKKI I am able to to add much better timing to them.

They're definitely worth having, but if I'm honest, I still don't give them enough training time.

Les

OP
W

WhiteTiger

I have found little use for the freestyle techniques. Those same movements are found in the self-defense techniques, why should we teach them twice. I concentrate much more on tactics, timing, and method of delivery. You really only need one good hand technique and one good leg technique to be an effective freestyle fighter. Learn to deliver those techniques in a variety of different methods and you can dominate most opponents.

Latest Discussions