France has hosted its first lightsaber championships.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d love to see a Kendoka enter that competition!

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I’d love to see a Kendoka enter that competition!
In Long Island, the local lightsaber 'guild' actively admonished good technique, specifically for being too effective. Most people with prior weapons training ended up leaving.

I'd bet that's not the case somewhere having a 'championship', and most of the participants have some form of prior kendo/fencing/hema/fma training.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In Long Island, the local lightsaber 'guild' actively admonished good technique, specifically for being too effective. Most people with prior weapons training ended up leaving.
Well, it’s not serious…it’s for children and the child-like.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, it’s not serious…it’s for children and the child-like.
That doesn't mean it can't also be serious. Could be a legitimate way for practitioners to experiment with a different weight and practice in a more 'fun' way. And even ignoring that, I'm just not a fan of actively teaching wrong technique.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It’s like ninjutsu, and nothing wrong with that at all. Have fun, get some expertise, sweat a little and find your tribe. Doesn’t need to be serious to be beneficial.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s like ninjutsu, and nothing wrong with that at all. Have fun, get some expertise, sweat a little and find your tribe. Doesn’t need to be serious to be beneficial.
Beneficial in it’s broadest sense 😄

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Beneficial in it’s broadest sense 😄

Kind of. I mean, unless you are making a living doing the activity or in some way relying on the skills you're acquiring, the activity itself is incidental.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I'd bet that's not the case somewhere having a 'championship', and most of the participants have some form of prior kendo/fencing/hema/fma training.
I've always liked the "weapon experts" that have the "you attacked me wrong" energy. A championship/tournament is a sobering reminder of what others from other systems can do.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
sérieusement (French for 'Seriously')

facepalm-really.gif

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If google is to be believed, lightsaber dueling has been recognized by the French Fencing Federation. (A new sport: France OKs competitive lightsaber)

The rules for the championship are below. Seems pretty straightforward to me, but could cause some trouble for folks who aren't interested in the sweeping movements generally associated with light sabers:

The FFE official rules for lightsaber dueling:
  • Duels take place in a circle outlined by tape on the floor.
  • Participants can win the match by scoring 15 points. If no one has scored 15 points after three minutes of combat, then the match ends and the participant with the higher score is declared the winner.
  • The point system is as follows:
  • Strike to the head – 5 points
  • Strike to the body – 5 points
  • Strike to the arm – 3 points
  • Strike to the leg – 3 points
  • Strike to the hand – 1 point
  • Strikes are valid only if the lightsaber motion begins with the tip behind the striker’s body. This rule is intended to force participants to emulate the broad, sweeping blade movements that we have all come to associate with Star Wars lightsaber combat.
I mean, if this was around in the early 80s, you bet your *** I'd sign up.

Latest Discussions