Formal Education

What is your highest level of formal education?

• No education

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Jr High or eq.

• Vocational education

• High School Diploma or eq.

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • Bachelor's degree or eq.

Votes: 30 45.5%
  • Master's degree or eq.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Doctorate or eq.

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • Something higher I'm not aware of...

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am starting this thread just out of plain curiosity, and because another thread got me thinking (namely the thread about multiple intelligences)
There appear to be a lot of very well educated people on the boards here, and I was just wondering if my observation rings true.

Please feel free to elaborate, or if you prefer just vote anonimously.
As for myself, I left school at the age of 16 and have no formal education beyond a Junior High equivalent, nor any vocational qualifications to speak of.
Thanks
Simon

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually need a block between masters and PhD.; I dropped out while working on my dissertation. Probably have enough hours picked up in different courses to go back and petition for a second bachelors in public safety at this point.

OP
Simon Curran

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
dearnis.com said:
Actually need a block between masters and PhD.; I dropped out while working on my dissertation. Probably have enough hours picked up in different courses to go back and petition for a second bachelors in public safety at this point.
Didn't think of the "Somewhere in-between" option sir, if I could I would add it.

J

Jaymeister

Stopped after 10th grade, but I'm starting up again this summer though... You're never too old learn.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Somewhere in between the masters and doctorate includes the informal designation of ABD, which is probably what's appropriate for a poll like this, and more formal certifications like the Engineer's degree. Some masters degrees (e.g., the 3-year M.Arch. I) and some degrees labeled doctorate (e.g., the J.D.) are often considered to lie somewhere in-between.

I never left school and ended up with a Ph.D. (in Applied Mathematics). Now I'm in for life!

mj_lover

Blue Belt
Reaction score
1st year mechanical design, didn't know what to put, so i used high school, as it is my highest completed education

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I voted for Bachelor's Degree(Computer Science). I don't have it yet, but I see the light at the end of the tunnel, I only have three required classes left in my major.

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
B.S. Mathematical Sciences and B.S. in Human and Computer Interaction. Going to go back for Master's and Ph.D in a few years, not cause I really want to, but in the field I am interested in you can't get anywhere without the pieces of paper on your wall.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tgace - lol, why "don't ask?" That's kewl.

Me - another ABD, in a PhD program at the mo. :)

OP
Simon Curran

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ping898 said:
B.S. Mathematical Sciences and B.S. in Human and Computer Interaction. Going to go back for Master's and Ph.D in a few years, not cause I really want to, but in the field I am interested in you can't get anywhere without the pieces of paper on your wall.
I think that is an interesting point, it seems that a lot of times these days that an education is something that is needed more for getting a job than it is for personal enlightenment, as for myself I still wish that I could have gotten some level of higher education, however these days I don't think my bank manager would be too impressed if I went back to full time study...
I have been seriously considering applying for an open university course, so that I could study in my free time, but they seem to be painfully expensive...

OP
Simon Curran

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
No takers as yet on the vocational education thing?

No trade trained plumbers/builders etc?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Masters Fine Arts: Graphic Design....I said "dont ask".
icon10.gif

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
B.S. in Computer Information Systems, Magna Cum Laude. :)

Will probably go for an MBA, but not till I get my school loan knocked down a little.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Masters Fine Arts: Graphic Design....I said "dont ask".
icon10.gif
Oh, the temptation is killing me....

"tgace, how'd yuou end up with an MFA in Graphic Design?"

*hides behind bunker*

Latest Discussions