For the Guys....

S

ShaolinWolf

Iron Crotch Kung Fu

Someone write this to me, and you can see what my response was. The scary part of the following is that what he wrote to me is true, and used to be practiced.

I don't know if you've heard of this but here goes.

Iron Crotch Kung Fu ( I swear I heard this on TV during a demonstration of Kung Fu)

1. Find a large heavy rock
  2. Place rock on a near by wall
  3. Tie a leather thong (rope) securely around the rock
  4. Tie the other end of the rope around your nuts
  5. Assume a horse riding stance and walk backwards pulling the rock off the wall and let swing

The scary thing here is that this is a true thing---this sort of thing used to be one of the "tests" given by the Shaolin priests to gauge your chi.

Yipe.

Personally, I think what it REALLY was had to do with the fact that the older priests were tired of having to deal with the high testosterone levels of the younger initiates, so they devised this "test". After doing that a couple of times, testosterone is something your body simply won't produce anymore. Ta-da! Instant serene monk, without that pesky testosterone-based macho attitude.

Ow.

It's supposed to show your would-be attacker that you are impervious to pain. This is definately the case but I'm not sure how practical this would be in a fight. It also shows your attacker you are as thick as a plank. Strong, tough---and not much for brains. :)

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This isn't a "used to be" thing. It is still practiced today. There was a CMA conference in California last year that showcased one of their masters pulling a pickup truck with several people in the bed of it across a parking lot. The only thing I can think of as a reason for doing this (aside from hoping that the stretching will, um, help?) is building a defense against a groin strike in a fight. As for me, I'll keep working on how to cover that particular area with a block.

OP
C

c2kenpo

This is one thing I just couldn't abide by. I know it is still practiced today, I just can't bring myself to ruining my chances for procreation.

Besides...Can anyone of us imagine getting caught on tape dragging a rock behind us tied to our sack??

I for one...am NOT ready for Americas Funniest Home Videos

Dave

OP
S

ShaolinWolf

Yeah, I know about it being still practiced today...One of the great crotch/groin lifters, Chan Tze-Zan, is an example...heh.

I agree. There are limits even I will go for MA...I'll take a bruised beating to a pulp, and other painful stuff over that. No thank you.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
I've heard this called "Golden egg" training or something, IIRC.

Think I'll pass, thanks. /nod

Taimishu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Look on the bright side, if you fail at MAs you can get a job in...

The Vienna boys choir.

David

Latest Discussions