Foot work drills

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm trying to improve my mobility particularly with sparring, I'm really heavy footed. My instructors constantly tell me to move on the balls of my feet which is fine for a few seconds but when I'm engaging with my opponets I go right back into the old habits. Are there any drills or suggestions that anyone might have that could possibly help out.

hussaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to strengthen your calves...also do plyo workouts.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to improve my mobility particularly with sparring, I'm really heavy footed. My instructors constantly tell me to move on the balls of my feet which is fine for a few seconds but when I'm engaging with my opponets I go right back into the old habits. Are there any drills or suggestions that anyone might have that could possibly help out.

What kind of drills (if any) do you do now?

hussaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'll tell you what. I jump into my buddy's sport karate class every now and again. I have no interest in competitive sport sparring, but those drills where they bounce on the balls of their feet, switching stances, and what not is one hell of a workout for your calves.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll tell you what. I jump into my buddy's sport karate class every now and again. I have no interest in competitive sport sparring, but those drills where they bounce on the balls of their feet, switching stances, and what not is one hell of a workout for your calves.
Well said, the best drills for moving the way you want to move in sparing is to move that way. Jump rope is good also but I prefer to incorporate the above..........

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Stand with your feet closer together and that will get you up on your toes a bit more. It is tiring to do at first but you move better so understand that you will try to go flat footed until you condition for it.

Just walking forwards and backwards left and right in stance

Jab cross. forward back etc.

On the pads. jab cross roll under cross hook roll under. Forwards back etc.

Shadow work string some rope about head high and work around that. I sometimes get a whole spiderweb going.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score

To help you get new habits, could you describe the "old" habits?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

As others have asked...are you doing any drills now? Personally, I like more of a boxing type stance. Yes, it gets tiring, but like anything, with time/practice, you'll get better. :) I would start off by focusing on movement first, without any striking. Working forward, backward, sideways and an X pattern, would be a good start. From there, you can add in strikes and kicks, eventually working up to shadow boxing.

Good luck! :)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As others have asked...are you doing any drills now? Personally, I like more of a boxing type stance. Yes, it gets tiring, but like anything, with time/practice, you'll get better. :) I would start off by focusing on movement first, without any striking. Working forward, backward, sideways and an X pattern, would be a good start. From there, you can add in strikes and kicks, eventually working up to shadow boxing.

That is pretty much what I have had to do, albeit not in an x shape, to loosen up my right ankle. Still stiff but not overly so. Think I'll try that one myself!

OP
S

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What kind of drills (if any) do you do now?

Mostly what I've been trying to do more of is trying to keep on the balls of my feet when I spar or working sparring combos. After doing a little research I'm thinking that part of my problem is that the stabilization muscles in my ankles and calves are weak.

OP
S

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Really the only drills I'm currently doing is just trying to work on staying on the balls of feet when I spar. I really like your idea about movement drills to build the conditioning and strength up.

OP
S

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you everyone so for the great advice, please by all means keep it coming.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Really the only drills I'm currently doing is just trying to work on staying on the balls of feet when I spar. I really like your idea about movement drills to build the conditioning and strength up.

Once you get familiar with the initial movement, you could start with someone throwing some slow, but on target strikes. This should aid in your initial defense. As you progress, you could add in your own strikes, in addition to the block and/or defense of the one(s) being thrown at you.

This is just 1 example. The things you can do are endless. :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is pretty much what I have had to do, albeit not in an x shape, to loosen up my right ankle. Still stiff but not overly so. Think I'll try that one myself!

The X pattern is something that we do in Arnis, but it's something that could be applied to what the OP is looking for too. :)

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I noticed from your profile that you are ranked in Shotokan and ATA TKD? Which one are you sparring in now? Are you training in both or just the one?

I only ask because both seem to have different sparring methodologies or emphasis.

OP
S

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I noticed from your profile that you are ranked in Shotokan and ATA TKD? Which one are you sparring in now? Are you training in both or just the one?

I only ask because both seem to have different sparring methodologies or emphasis.

I'm currently studying ATA Tae Kwon Do, I orginally started with Shotokan many years ago as a kid.

Lone Wolf

White Belt
Reaction score
grab a cup or something, slap it on the ground and stand with one foot either side. Then simply jump and try to touch your heels together above the cup. initially you will find yourself jumping far higher than you need to to touch your heels. keep doing this each day, not very long (i normally just count slowly to 100-150). eventually you will be able to do it quickly with your heels touching just above the cup :) hope this helps prefer it to jump rope a lot as the height can easily be changed and a lot less space is needed :D

edit:

Just thought of this- you could also try every so often during sparring focusing solely on footwork, as i guess you go back to "old habits" when you body's natural reactions take over e.g. someone throws a quick punch or kick and your reflexes take over completely. So instead, i would suggest having say 1 in every 3 matches being you only blocking while your partner attacks constantly, all the time you solely focusing on blocking and your foot work.

Latest Discussions