Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
questions on FMA in "combat"
By tablerock - Sat, 26 Jan 2008 20:10:57 GMT
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

Hello all,

I have been reading thru the forums for several months. I am about to devote my martial arts training to FMA (jkd-kali from Sifu Chris Kent). I have studied with Sifu Kent for a couple years, but mostly just JKD, very little Kali. I haven't been in several months as I have taken some time to work groundfighting (bjj) as well as other "committments." So please take my questions as coming from a position of total ignorance and in no way denigrating FMA.

When I watch various video clips, tv shows, etc. about the FMA's, the training looks great, fun, and effective...along with a lot of hard work. But when I watch the actual "combat"; I am thinking of fight quest and human weapon, as well as some dog brothers fight clips, I never see them pull off any of the stuff they "trained", and my main concern is that there doesn't seem to be a great disparity in talent between the guy who just studied it for a week, and the "expert". Granted, there may be a lot going on that I dont know to look for, and thus, maybe I can't intelligently assess the skill level. But, not to start a war, and I certainly don't think wrestling or bjj is the greatest by any means, but if a newcomer trained for a few days and got thrown in with a high level practitioner, they get owned, and it's pretty obvious to anyone watching.

So I guess I just expected the "experts" to make short work of the newcomer. Are the fights just toned way down for tv? Anyhow, sorry for the rapid fire questions on my first post! Thank you so much.

(btw: my training starts on tuesday)

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions