Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
My Warrior Uncle
By Captain Jack Sparrow - Sun, 06 Apr 2008 03:46:24 GMT
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to share not a FMA topic for once, but just a story of an old warrior in my family. My uncle. He retired as a Vice Admiral from the Philippine Navy. He was also a Philippine Military Academy (PMA) Superintendent prior to that. Before that, he was also a Commanding Officer of Camp Crame which faced and repelled many attempted "coup de tats" under Presidents Aquino and Ramos. (Side note: I believe it is also the same camp where Balintawak GM Bacon was held a long time ago)

When I visited his provincial home in 2005, I noticed he had A LOT of memorabilia, awards and gifts in his huge "office." Well, it was more like a WAR ROOM where I was concerned. I couldn't help but notice all the pictures with dignitaries and leaders from all over the world--It awed me. My uncle also studied a long time ago at the U.S. Naval War College in Annapolis a while back in the early 80s. He was also the Commanding Officer of Intelligence and Flag Officer in Command (FOIC) of the Philippine Navy.

He finally retired in 2000 with full military honors. Yet upon retirement, the old warrior continued to help the people and uplift them.

My uncle was approached and appointed to head the construction and maintaining of the Philippines' largest dam, San Roque Multipurpose Project in his home town and province.

Wikipedia's entry

Global Project Profile

and

DamGood Stuff
(cute website name ain't it?)

Just by speaking with him in various topics, I could see and FEEL that he is an INCREDIBLY EXPERIENCED AND HIGHLY INTELLIGENT man. He has always been a standard to our family. His children, my first cousins, are politicians and U.S. and Philippine Military officers. He's a born leader and yet he's a deeply religious and humble man. A definite Warrior in my own eyes.

Now, why would I want to share this you all? Well, he is a man to be appreciated and has a lot of stories and snippets to share. (he even discerned a morsel or two on FMA in general ;p) He was glad I am pursuing my FMA experience BUT is actually MORE proud that I am a school teacher--imagine that! He understands teachers are warriors too! He shared with me that Doctors, Nurses, Firemen, Policemen, street sweeper, whatever--we are all warriors doing our part to live in this world more peacefully and progressively. Warriors depend on Farmers to eat and Doctors/Nurses when sick as well. We are dependent on one another. What also shocked me is the realization of the elementary school he built and plans to build another soon! I've only heard it before through my parents, but to actually be with the children, WOW! He definitely sees the benefits of free education to the people the realization of one's dreams.

My uncle is a true WARRIOR who defended the Philippines and is now a WARRIOR in the battlefronts of poverty and the disenfranchised.

I just wanted to share a couple of pictures that some may find interesting...

Moral of this story? Hmmm, probably just me babbling... but with MLK Jr.'s 40th death anniversary this weekend, I'd like to share one of my favorite quotes of his:

"If all you can be is a street sweeper, then be the best street sweeper you can be."
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions