FMAT: If you want to become a good fighter, become a good teacher.

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
If you want to become a good fighter, become a good teacher.
By robertlk808 - Tue, 18 Sep 2007 23:14:28 GMT
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

http://www.fmadigest.com/Issues/spec...s-Cuentada.pdf

I was reading the latest FMA Digest about Balintawak Grandmaster Bobby Taboada who states "If you want to become a good fighter, become a good teacher." This article brings a few things to mind.

First, it brings the age-old saying of "Those who can do, those who can't teach." Does anyone even believe it is valid today? What is the origin of that statement? Was it made out of arrogance?

Second, it reminds me of something my instructor in WA used to say which echoed similar sentiments Bobby Taboada but he emphasized that not all good fighters could make the transition to being a good teacher.

While researching the quote I found this:

Quote:
There's an old saying...“Those that can - do: those that can't - teach.” The implication behind this saying is that anyone involved in teaching is only doing so because they cannot make a success of actually doing the job (whatever the job is). This is obviously untrue, as I know from my own experience of returning to dental school to teach undergraduates while still in practice. I found that being able to do periodontology was no help when it came to teaching it, and I had to work really hard at not only the theory of periodontology, but also the application of that theory and how the two linked. I found teaching a tremendous help in not only improving my own treatment of patients, but also my confidence in what I was doing....
Quote:
Perhaps I should explain myself more clearly. Instead of saying “Those that can - do: those that can't - teach” let us rephrase it as “Can those that do...teach as well?” In other words, does being able to do something well mean you can also teach it?
Now the above reference is from a Dentist but the same thought applies, just because Chuck & Rampage can beat some a$$ doesn't meant they can teach. Well maybe they can but I have no idea....

How many of you feel that because of teaching your fighting skills have become enhanced?

(Don't be surprised if you see this at a few forums, I'm just curious to get peoples thoughts....)

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I must agree that all who can ( be it fight , do forms, or whatever) may not be able to teach. It takes a different mind set to teach and to be able to get your thoughts across to students

LocknBlock

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes sometimes the great fighter is not a great teacher. Thank God for the teachers cause without great teachers where would the great fighters come from ?? We all have to learn and part of learning is teaching, thats what I think GM Taboada is saying.

Latest Discussions