FMAT: Do you feel the need for a famous master?

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Do you feel the need for a famous master?
By geezer - 12-29-2009 06:05 PM
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

Just got another inquiry from a guy who might want to train with our group. He wanted to know about our background and credentials. A good question. On the other hand, my instructor doesn't like to go around dropping a lot of names. He teaches a down to earth, combat oriented system that reflectls his experiences. He gives credit to people he worked with. But he stands on his own. He doesn't need to justify what he does by saying he got it directly from some famous dead great-grandmaster.

My first instructor, Rene Latosa, was exactly the same way. He was an early student directly under such luminaries as Cabales, Giron, Sarmiento and Revillar. He gave them credit and respect, but he taught his own stuff. He didn't use their names to promote himself. He used to say, "Nobody cares who your teacher was... it's what you can do that matters."

Well, I'm not that good, so I still find myself saying, "So and so taught me this" or "So and so teaches it that way". On the other hand, there are guys out there that have the skill and cojones to stand on there own merits. And I don't mean frauds and wannabees. I mean people who are the real deal... and don't feel the need to stand on the reputation of some dead GM. We've got a couple of guys lake that in my town. My instructor is one. The other guy practiced Illustrisimo at a high level. Now there's a name with some weight. But this guy is doing his own thing, and again, doesn't need to use someone else's rep. Gotta respect that.

Now I don't have any problem with people being loyal to their living instructor. And, yes, I know there are a lot of frauds out there, so it's smart to find out whether your instructor is the real thing. But, I'm just saying that when you find the real thing, the label doesn't matter. What do you guys think?

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions