FMA Schools, Clubs, etc

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's a quetion for you:

How many of you teach FMA as a profession?

I would also like to know if you run it as a club, a program, or a full time school.

:asian:

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't teach FMA as a profession, or sole source of income.

I do however want to be able to supplement some income from martial arts seminars/products/teaching.

:ultracool

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
I don't teach FMA as a profession, or sole source of income.

I do however want to be able to supplement some income from martial arts seminars/products/teaching.

:ultracool
Don't you have a training group right now? I thought you had a schedule of classes on your website.

I will be starting up a public training class/BB instructor program for FMA cert of BB's from other systems again in August/September. Looking forward to teaching formally again. Backyard training is fine, we are small but committed (well certifiable would be more accurate) but having the structure of a class and building is easier to use as an excuse for the wife.

"Darn, Hon, I gotta go teach class, can't go to dinner with the In Laws...say hi for me though" :)

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
Don't you have a training group right now? I thought you had a schedule of classes on your website.

I will be starting up a public training class/BB instructor program for FMA cert of BB's from other systems again in August/September. Looking forward to teaching formally again. Backyard training is fine, we are small but committed (well certifiable would be more accurate) but having the structure of a class and building is easier to use as an excuse for the wife.

"Darn, Hon, I gotta go teach class, can't go to dinner with the In Laws...say hi for me though" :)

Yes...I do have a training group now. I would still like to grow and do more stuff, though. So, that's what I am doing! :ultracool

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Datu Puti said:
Here's a quetion for you:

How many of you teach FMA as a profession?

I would also like to know if you run it as a club, a program, or a full time school.

Hey,

I only teach it as a profession when I'm between contracts. It's my side gig. I run my group as a club. There are dues, rules, gear requirements, and a mission statement. I don't issue rank and I take all levels of students although those with more experience have more fun right away. I also require full contact sparring with both full and minimal gear. Pretty much it just pays for itself. But eventually I would like to have it turn a larger profit. Although I doubt I will ever run it as my full time main business until after I retire.

thekuntawman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
i have been teaching on my own since 1992. i had a school since 93. when business is good, i teach full time. when its slow i work and teach. usually i work in the winter, and teach full time in the summer. finding dedicated students who are patient, courageous and willing to work hard is difficult, so i have to hustle to get new students in the door to replace ones who quit. there are lots of black belters/teachers who want to study the philippine arts, lots of ex-seminar goers, and lots of people who got there *** kicked, so they pay more, and we never have serious money problems. but i know we will never get big like the take-yer-do schools. :uhyeah:

when it comes to the FMA, my students and friends convinced me to try everything. we did contracts before. we had a kids class. i use to do seminars. i fight karate tournaments. i fought in full contact. we have satellite classes. i make videos for out of town students. i have private lesson students. i do camps. i even use to teach tae bo! today, i focus on teaching classes, but i have a combination of selling things from the PI on the internet, seminar, equipment, private lessons, home-schooled kids, SED-14 boys/juvies, fitness clients, and "fight night", all extra to my regular classes. we have classes in sacramento, fairfield (45 minutes away), and oakland (1.5 hours away). its hard, but the men in my family made it in their whole lives teaching without getting famous, without promoting students they are not proud of, and selling their arts cheap or mass-producing. and i am following in their footsteps. any FMA teacher can do it, but you cannot be a slave to money ego and fancy lifestyle. and like we always say, "true fighting art is not for every body, even everybody who wants it".

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A Club.
I will be changing some things very shortly to make it into a part time profession ( working the other half ) if the economy in this area allow me to go full time , that would be nice.
I may have to relocate the school to a larger population area to do what I want

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well in the club, I have the pleasure of being associated with, we only teach FMA. The school itself is a co-op or now a single owner, yet still run, where various other clubs rent out matt time. It is not my profession, we try to cover rent and if there is money left over, we buy training tools for the club.

I respect those who dedicate their time to make it a full time operation no matter what the style, it takes lots of time and lots of work.

Latest Discussions