Flow

KyleShort

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am comming up on the end of year one training in Doce Pares (both San Miguel and Multi-style). At times I have been very regular and there have been times where an entire month has passed with out training due to work, school, family etc. In the last few days I have felt an urge to really look at my training and listen to what my mind and body has had to tell me about it. Near the close of year one, this is my first reflection...

Flow
If I were to look back at my previous martial arts experience I could certainly identify the virtues of specific aspects of each art. In bujinkan I learned how to effectively roll the bujinkan way, in wing chun I learned that battles are won through an overwhelming assault of basic chain punches against vulvnerable areas, in kajukenbo I learned that I can kick over my head and in YMCA karate I learned that a camoflauge belt looks better than a purple one. But the big things that I have learned in Doce Pares supercede the art itself. They speak to the truth of combat and self, agnostic of the art practiced.

One of the more important things that I have come to understand (through sinawali and sparring) is the concept of flow (I learned this in Wing Chun, but did not fully internalize it). More specifically, it is OK to make mistakes. It is ok to get hit (do not confuse this with allowing someone to hit you--it is the difference between dammage control and self delusion). Most importantly, you should expect to make mistakes and to get hit. You should expect that your opponent will do the same. Just flow.

Truly internalizing the concept of flow allows you to move past the mental incumberances associated with failure. "I got hit" *STOP*. "I missed my target" *STOP* "I was blocked" *STOP*. *HESITATE*. *FAIL*. Flow tells you to move past this. It tells you that the fight is not won or lost in pieces, but rather in the aggregate. Armed with this knowledge you become not a person executing techniques, but a force.

This understanding has superceded all of my arts. I may not be the best fighter, or even that good, but I am better now than I was one year ago. And in truth, I am better at all of my arts because this concept is universal. Perhaps this applies to all FMA and is the source of calling Modern Arnis the Art Within the Art?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, Thats it Kyle! Keep training hard and all of the
possibilities of the flow, instinctive response, zone etc.
what ever you want to call it will be yours! Just relax,
and enjoy!

Brian R. VanCise

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is hard to observe the difference at times and harder to actually do it, but having the mentallity that you are doing and observing instead of telling and forcing is SOOOO great. That is the way to work with your body and habits with a healthy training mentallity. Less 'blame' oriented because of what you 'aren't getting' and more 'what do I do, how do I direct it into either an enhancement or a better habit' good mental flow to manifest physical flow.

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Kyle,

Good observation. Where in Sacramento do you train? I train in Elk Grove.

I have been in the martial ars for a long time, I feel that FMA has a lot to offer. Like you said (and very well) the Flow.

Regards, Gary

OP
KyleShort

KyleShort

Green Belt
Reaction score
I train with Capital Doces Pares in Rancho Cordova (off Sunrise Ave.)

newfnshow

White Belt
Reaction score
GAB said:
Hi Kyle,

Good observation. Where in Sacramento do you train? I train in Elk Grove.

I have been in the martial ars for a long time, I feel that FMA has a lot to offer. Like you said (and very well) the Flow.

Regards, Gary

Just curious where in Elk Grove you train in FMA? I also live in Elk Grove.

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Newfnshow,
I train at Elk Grove Martial arts Acadamy. It is behind the Molding Mill next to the RR tracks on locust.
Hi Flatlander,

Since this thread was already started with the name "Flow" I thought we could continue to talk about the subject.

First I would like to say, there are many concepts and interpretations of the various styles, and systems, in FMA.

My thoughts....Dancing for example, one person or two, Kata's, one person or two, Forms etc.

To make a statement that Flow cannot be interpreted as the other partner in a form is not correct in my thoughts.

I am familiar with the Tagalog word Agos. In Mark V. Wiley's book it is defined in what, kuntaw lima-lima style (thinks), as going with the force of the opponents strike.

That can also be thought of as going with the flow of a partner in a drill, but then we get into the idea as to who is leading. Or continually pressing the other, forcing the way the drill is going to go, or going with the other and being submissive for the drill, as in offense and defense if you will.

We are not moving in such a way as to be the winner, we are moving as to learn, train, We all know it does not last long in the actual combat, unless it is sticks then it can go a few rounds.

Who is in the best shape, no bones broken in the hand that holds the stick, pain tolerance etc.

Just my thoughts. Regards, Gary

DoxN4cer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
GAB said:
...To make a statement that Flow cannot be interpreted as the other partner in a form is not correct in my thoughts....

...We all know it does not last long in the actual combat, unless it is sticks then it can go a few rounds.

Who is in the best shape, no bones broken in the hand that holds the stick, pain tolerance etc.

Just my thoughts. Regards, Gary

I'm not sure where you want to go with this Gary.

The concept of "flow" in the FMA is the ability for deal all variables in the combative equation. While it can be seen in demonstration, it is an intangible quality and cannot be taught. It can only be "aquired" or "attained" through realistic training.

FWIW, real stickfights don't last long... unless the winner is toying with the loser.

Tim Kashino

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Tim,
I was in a different thread on techs.

I came over here because Flatlander advised me to.

I was talking about Katas, Forms etc. I included "Flow".

Since we are talking apples and oranges, we need some clarification as to who, has interpreted what, from where, and when??

Regards, Gary

To take a quote and only put what you want in the quote is not correct in my way of thinking either. IMO... G

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK Gary, let's put it back into context.
You said in the Kenpo thread:
GAB said:
Katas are the basic building blocks of all the arts, call them dances,forms, whatever. That is the way the arts have been saved and handed down for a long time. Time proven. FMA now calls it the flow?
What I was attempting to point out is that in my understanding, the forms or patterns or "kata" are referred to as anyos, not "flow". The discussion at the time was regarding kata or forms.

There are different ways of defining "form" - some interchange that with kata, others use it to refer to proper mechanics and alignment in any movement. In that way, flow should be comprised of good form, in that the one who is flowing should be balanced, and work with good mechanics.

"Flow" is the continuance of free movement - it is not patterned, rather, it is responsive to what is being fed. In that respect, it is completely different than kata, yet can contain kata or portions of kata (anyo).

Does this clarify? :idunno:

Am I inaccurate here, folks? :idunno:

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You are on the money with your explanation

Todd

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
OK Gary, let's put it back into context.
You said in the Kenpo thread:

What I was attempting to point out is that in my understanding, the forms or patterns or "kata" are referred to as anyos, not "flow". The discussion at the time was regarding kata or forms.

There are different ways of defining "form" - some interchange that with kata, others use it to refer to proper mechanics and alignment in any movement. In that way, flow should be comprised of good form, in that the one who is flowing should be balanced, and work with good mechanics.

"Flow" is the continuance of free movement - it is not patterned, rather, it is responsive to what is being fed. In that respect, it is completely different than kata, yet can contain kata or portions of kata (anyo).

Does this clarify? :idunno:

Am I inaccurate here, folks? :idunno:

I see where you are coming from, Yes and no. I asked you if drills and flow were a complete picture, you did not address that.

I also clarified my statement.

Regards, Gary

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
GAB said:
I also clarified my statement.

Regards, Gary
???????????????????????? Where did you clarify your statement???

DoxN4cer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
GAB said:
To take a quote and only put what you want in the quote is not correct in my way of thinking either. IMO... G

Well, OK. I feel that quoting an entire post when I only wish to address particular points is a waste of bandwidth and monotonous for other readers in this forum. I'm not trying to rip up your previous post. Please don't take it that way.

Tim

DoxN4cer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
GAB said:
I asked you if drills and flow were a complete picture, you did not address that.

Is it OK if I field this one? IMHO, No. Drills and flow are not the complete picture. Drills can help you get there (depending on how you practice), but performing prearranged patterns of movements is "rudamentary flow". It teaches you to transition smoothly from on technique to another, but it is not "free form" (spontaneous) flow.

Tim

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
???????????????????????? Where did you clarify your statement???
Kai
I think I clarified my position in the Techniques thread that I was asked to leave and come over here. Guess not? Have you been talking to Kelly? Do you know him from Hanshi's studio?

Tim
Spontaneous, that is a word that I like, in the use of all Martial arts responses, conceptualize is another.

Fluidity and Flow, these drills I am talking about are not all routine, not a, b, c, or 1,2,3.

Anyo, which language is that one from? I know the word 'Ano', Year in Spanish, the word 'agos' Tagalog, for flow.

I talked about the word flow as in the Book by Guro Dan Inosanto and the word flow as seen by the, 'Kuntaw Lima-Lima' system.

Where do you deriv your term flow?

Thanks for the information.

Regards, Gary

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Kai,

You asked a question on the senior board and Doc answered it and referred it to John Bishop.

I would like to address it if I may?

Sijo Emperado lent his training to Kajukenbo (escrima/eskrima).

Raymond Tobosa of 'Tobosa Kali/Escrima', Has some information about his system, in the book by Mark V. Wiley.

He did not give to the Hawaiian Kempo arts. He received some of the knowledge from people who learned from Chow. He called his original art Kaji-Kumi, then later changed it to Tobosa Kali/Escrima.

He gives a lot of credit to Floro Villabrille, for the information he passed on to Raymond. Quite a lot of it was verbal. Similar to what Hanshi got from JM.

Just my .02 worth.

Regards, Gary

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
GAB said:
Anyo, which language is that one from? I know the word 'Ano', Year in Spanish, the word 'agos' Tagalog, for flow.

Thanks for the information.

Regards, Gary

GAB,

I answered your question in the Figure Eight Thread in the Modern Arnis section on what little I know about the word Anyo.

Best regards