Flooded basement

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
qizmoduis said:
No, actually that's the forecast track for the remains of Ernesto. It may pass over us sometime this weekend. The rain we had this past weekend was just a series of flash thunderstorms, which were pretty serious in some areas. Here in King of Prussia, my office building actually lost a bunch of trees to wind. The tree outside my office was apparently hit by lightning.

You might want to have somebody address your basement before the weekend. If what's left of Ernesto passes over us, it will probably be even worse than what just happened.

Oh crap....that wasn't Ernesto that hit us last weekend? I guess it's a good thing that the plumber is coming over today (hopefully).

The water completely drained out of the basement when I came home from work yesterday, but the floor was still damp. There's yet another thin layer of muck on the floor. Eeew!

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, I haven't checked out the basement for mold yet. The floor was still wet last night, and most of the flourescent lights stopped working. Of course I could've grabbed a flashlight, but I still don't want to track mud onto the carpet.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well when you finally get everything cleaned up putting fans down there will help die everything out.
Terry

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Swordlady said:
Great...yet another big something I have to shell out money for...ah, the joys of owning a home...

Thats why I am all in favor of DIY when it comes to home ownership.

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Well when you finally get everything cleaned up putting fans down there will help die everything out.
Terry

I have one big window fan running in the basement right now. But since there is only one socket, I can't plug in another one.

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
The plumber just left my house. As I suspected, the sump pump needs to be replaced. He also recommended to have the toilet and sink capped off. The good news is that he'll most likely be able to replace the pump and cap everything off before the weekend. The bad news is that this is going to cost me $350. Wasn't as much as I expected (I thought I was going to pay over $500), but replacing the sump pump wasn't on my monthly budget. :eek:

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At least it's a bit better than you were expecting. That's some consolation at least.

Jeff

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does anyone ever have a sump pump in their monthly budget? I know I don't... At least it wasn't as painful as it could have been.

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah...at least it didn't cost as much as I expected. Still hurts the ol' budget, especially because my car is due for a service check soon - which will most likely cost another $400-500, since the brake pads most likely need to be replaced. Youch.

Capping off the toilet and sink *should* eliminate my flooding problems from the passing rainstorms. Just in time for the remains of (former) Tropical Storm Ernesto, which should be hitting my area this weekend.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, at least if you get it taken care of, it won't cost even more in the future!

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
True. Ernesto would probably dump another foot of water (or more) in the basement if I don't have the pump and the toilet squared away before then. :erg:

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well...the plumber came over this morning and replaced the sump pump. He also removed the sink and toilet, and capped off the pipes. Just in time for this weekend, since the weather forecast anticipates another 3.5" of rain - and the water level is already high. I hope this is the end of my flooding problems...

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glad to hear it's all done Jen. Hope that takes care of the problem!

Jeff

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Swordlady said:
Well...the plumber came over this morning and replaced the sump pump. He also removed the sink and toilet, and capped off the pipes. Just in time for this weekend, since the weather forecast anticipates another 3.5" of rain - and the water level is already high. I hope this is the end of my flooding problems...

My fingers are crossed for you that this solves it!

Latest Discussions