First time at Wing Chun

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Today I tried Wing Chun for the first time. I learned some Chi Sao and some of the Siu Nim Tao it was different yet similar to push hands in Taijiquan and Escrima. The body structure of being squared on a center line is a little odd getting use to. I was surprised that Wing Chun uses only three main forms.

I really liked the Wing Chun I learned my arms and legs are sore and I am going back again tomorrow I really like how it merges with my escrima and my other Chinese internal arts. I will say the Chi Sao doesn't feel as much push energy that I feel in most Taijiquan push hands or an empty feeling as if nothing is there at all, The sifu in Wing chun has more of a relaxed peng firmness with a light touch but it felt more like a snake waiting to ambush.

I look forward to reading and learning about Wing Chun.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
You have embarked on a great journey.

Enjoy your trip.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Today I tried Wing Chun for the first time. I learned some Chi Sao and some of the Siu Nim Tao it was different yet similar to push hands in Taijiquan and Escrima. The body structure of being squared on a center line is a little odd getting use to. I was surprised that Wing Chun uses only three main forms.

I really liked the Wing Chun I learned my arms and legs are sore and I am going back again tomorrow I really like how it merges with my escrima and my other Chinese internal arts. I will say the Chi Sao doesn't feel as much push energy that I feel in most Taijiquan push hands or an empty feeling as if nothing is there at all, The sifu in Wing chun has more of a relaxed peng firmness with a light touch but it felt more like a snake waiting to ambush.

You will be amazed at how everything ties together. One part affects everything else. I remember going to class and asking Sifu how to do better at the wooden dummy form. He said, "You can't think of it that way. You have to think better at how to do better at wing chun, period." That blew my mind and opened up a whole other level of understanding. If you notice one day that your stance is bad in Sil Lum Tao, then you will realize it affects EVERY form, EVERY technique.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

I like Wing Chun, I use to really enjoy training it on the weekends. And if it was not for Taijiquan I would likely be training only Wing Chun....and I am still tempted from time to time to go back and train it. Enjoy the training

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like Wing Chun, I use to really enjoy training it on the weekends. And if it was not for Taijiquan I would likely be training only Wing Chun....and I am still tempted from time to time to go back and train it. Enjoy the training

Consider this your most recent temptation.....Come train with us.

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congrats on starting your journey. I am little surprised that you started with Chi Sao on your first class. It takes a while to build up to that.

Keep it up.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Congrats on starting your journey. I am little surprised that you started with Chi Sao on your first class. It takes a while to build up to that.

Keep it up.

Not to strange i guess it just depends on the instructor because the three different WC instructors ive had started me off on Chi Sau for my first lesson.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Ha I found where you and Sean have been hiding out Xue

Latest Discussions