First big business conference

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
So today I was going to my first big business conference which my company was hosting... had to wear the business suit, the pantyhose, the high heels, the whole shabang... there were over 300 people there.

So, of course, what happens 45 minutes into the 5-hour long conference?

The building catches on fire.

I should have guessed.

Everyone is allright and everything, I'll post pics as soon as they are emailed to me. The building is pretty messed up on one site. I am not looking forward to going into work, it's going to be a mess.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh boy, sam. Did you get mad or something? Just joking! I'm glad no one got injured.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tkdgirl said:
Oh boy, sam. Did you get mad or something? Just joking! I'm glad no one got injured.
No, no, no! That was Carrie not Sam. Sam would have just started throwing people around if she got mad. Then she'd have gotten madder at them for putting a run in her hose and thrown them around til she broke a heel and...well, it would have been a viscious circle and they're probably better off with the fire than with Sam getting angry.:ultracool

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry- I got mixed up. We really do like you, sam- really!:angel:

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Glad to hear you're alright!

Did people leave the site in an orderly fashion?

Do you think your shoes or apparel hindered your safety?

OP
S

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Everyone walked very quickly out of the building... when they finally moved. I swear, they were all sitting there eating breakfast, the alarm went off, and they all sat there eating breakfast talking louder. When the staff started yelling at everyone in spanglish though, they realized it was for real.

You can't really run in high heels, and I think pantyhose are flamable. I don't like getting dressed like that.

I was messing around in the parking lot and came to the conclusion that I couldnt do any kicks except the rear. As for the top, it was too restrictive. I don't think I care for clothes like that :-/

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sam said:
I was messing around in the parking lot
Bookmarking this for when the R.P. game switches victims.

I resisted the urge to keep the next two words in the sentence...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sam said:
You can't really run in high heels, and I think pantyhose are flamable. I don't like getting dressed like that.

Yeah, you can. Takes a good quality shoe, and takes a bit of practice. Plus, it takes the desire to do it. Running for the train to Salem used to give me quite a bit of both. :roflmao:

But seriously, it's all about situational awareness and being adaptable. Being able to run, jump, kick, and manoeuver in heels can be a highly useful skill for a martial artist to have. One can lose precious seconds kicking one's shoes off, and if one is in an altercation...it may be on a place where being barefoot is a horrible idea.

Like anything else that is new and foreign, it takes time to get used to business attire. You'll get there, if you have the desire. ;)

OP
S

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's good to know, and makes me feel loads better that it can be done, but really I think I'd rather have a job where I don't have to wear that crap. Maybe a job where I could wear my gi all day would fit me better. :)

OP
S

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
pics

Attachments

• $fire 2.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 85
  • $fire 3.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 86
  • $fire.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 86

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That is a funny story.

I was touring Europe doing press meetings for the company I was working for in 1997. We were holding our UK meetings at LeMeridien Picadilly in Central London. Each meeting was with a different trade magazine/newspaper and was about an hour long.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/lemeridien/search/hotel_detail.html?propertyID=1925

The hotel staff informed us that at 9am there would be a test of the fire alarm system that would go on for several minutes. Sure enough, the alarms went off at 9am for about 10 or 15 minutes.

Then, around 11am they went off again. We told the visiting magazine writer about the fire drill. About 11:10 a frantic hotel employee ran into the conference room yelling "there really is a fire! Everybody out!" So we finished the interview from the street. We later found out it was a small fire in the hotel restaurant kitchen that was put out even before the fire trucks got there. Nobody hurt, nothing damaged.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sam said:
It's good to know, and makes me feel loads better that it can be done, but really I think I'd rather have a job where I don't have to wear that crap. Maybe a job where I could wear my gi all day would fit me better. :)
Wear a pantsuit the next time you go to a business conference. No pantyhose or high heels. ;)

What line of work was this conference for? Just curious...

I do appreciate being able to wear jeans, polo shirts, and sneakers to my current job. Unless I'm going to court; I have to wear a suit in front of the judge.

OP
S

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, I don't know what "line of work" you'd call it, but I work for the regional directors of a networking companyt called BNI. ( www.bnistl.com ) Basically people from different professions form "chapters" and can invite others into it, and you refer business to each other. But they only let good businesses into it, and kick out the jerks. The conference was about how to pass better referals and network better/more effectively.

Latest Discussions