Filesharing Insurance?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wednesday, June 28, 2006

P2P insurer will pay your fines if RIAA sues: $19/year!
David sez, "Apparently, a company in Sweden is offering file-sharing insurance - they'll pay your fines if you're sued by the RIAA. The /. submitter translates the link as follows: 'For a mere 140 SEK ($19 USD) per year, they will pay all your fines and give you a t-shirt if you get convicted for file sharing.'"

I have no idea if these insurers can be trusted with $19/year, but it actually sounds like a pretty plausible business model. If you count up all the file-sharers on the net, and divide it by the all the fines and settlements ever paid to the RIAA, my guess is that it's way less than $19/year, which suggests that you could make a buck (or Kronor) at this. Link (Thanks, David!)

Update: Travis sez, "This article estimates the odds of being sued by the RIAA at 1:1840. This works out to a break-even point of $34960 per lawsuit."

What a racket!

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Any and all types of insurance are rackets, it's just the nature of the beast. Even worse is that the government DEMANDS you give money to some of them for "protection".

The gov't and organized crime make interesting bedfellows.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The RIAA took my PC away
They took it away, away from me
The RIAA took my PC away
They took it away, away from me

Now I don't know where my PC can be
They took it from me they took it from me
I don't know where my PC can be
They took it from me they took it from me

Ring me, ring me, ring me the president