figure of eight chisao

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
a few students i train with have started doing this figure of eight chisao ,they have picked up from a visit to china.

any have experience with this ?

jase.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting , can you tell us where abouts in China was it Hong Kong or the mainland ?
Can you go into greater detail about what it is they are actually doing ?

If it is from the mainland i would be very skeptical about the practicality of it im afraid.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Is this the chi sao where you stick with the opposite hands? So if you picture that your right bong sao sticks to your partners right fook sao, whilst your left tan sao sticks to your partners left fook sao
The roll is very tight and I have never seen a good use for this.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Interesting , can you tell us where abouts in China was it Hong Kong or the mainland ?
Can you go into greater detail about what it is they are actually doing ?

If it is from the mainland i would be very skeptical about the practicality of it im afraid.

I'm aware that there are several different branches of Wing Chun that survived on the mainland, primarily in the Fatshan or Fo'shan area. Some of these derive from Grandmaster Yip (before he moved to Hong Kong), others go back to Yip's teacher Chan Wah Shun, and others claim entirely different histories (Benny Meng?). I have never actually seen any of these practiced, so I confess ignorance of the matter. I do know that the Benny Meng branch is subject of some controversy, but I know little of the other lineages. Kamon, do you have some experience that leads you to caution against them as a group?

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah I know that Benny Meng is a very nawty boy!!
I heard a story from one of my students that Meng held a seminar in the US teaching 'very special moves'. The seminar fee was very high and Meng ended up showing them just a finger strike and a palm strike

He has also done a lot of nawty bad mouthing, insulting people like Robert Chu and Yip Man wing chun

He claimed that HFY (Meng's system) is the true version of wing chun and that Yip Man's style was polluted down

I know that more recently Meng hosted a seminar for White Lotus (a school run by an ex-Kamon instructor) and several of the students were utterly appalled with what Meng was teaching

Obviously, as always, you should never go solely on what others tell you, but I have heard too many stories for it to be just rumour

On another forum it goes into more detail, but I won't mention which one as the moderators don't like it

All I would say is, anything that works is okay in my book!!
But apparently HFY doesn't work that well

martyg

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm aware that there are several different branches of Wing Chun that survived on the mainland, primarily in the Fatshan or Fo'shan area. Some of these derive from Grandmaster Yip (before he moved to Hong Kong), others go back to Yip's teacher Chan Wah Shun, and others claim entirely different histories (Benny Meng?).

There's actually quite a few outside of Yip Man and the Leung Jan branch. Yuen Kay San/Sum Nung, Cho family, Pao Fa Lien, etc. etc.

martyg

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
a few students i train with have started doing this figure of eight chisao ,they have picked up from a visit to china.

any have experience with this ?

jase.

If you're talking about the common mainland variation of each arm rolling in its own circle using longer bridging arms, yes. What did you want to know?

OP
skinters

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If you're talking about the common mainland variation of each arm rolling in its own circle using longer bridging arms, yes. What did you want to know?

i just wanted to know the effectivness of it ...i was told its done to get you off balance ....is it common ,whats its purpose?

martyg

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i just wanted to know the effectivness of it ...i was told its done to get you off balance ....is it common ,whats its purpose?

Is that the one you were talking about though? With two arms rolling independently?

If so, that's just the original format of "chi sao" used on the mainland. The poon sao format (rolling tan/bong and fuk) was created by on of Chan Wah Shun's students and popularized by Yip Man and his family of students. Its used the same way you'd use the format you're used to - i.e. same goals, etc. Unless they picked up a specific stance drill used within that format and brought it back?

Latest Discussions