Fight in one week

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey whats up everyone. Two days ago , I decided to take another fight Sunday after next (about a week). It is an IKF event up int Daytona , Florida. If anyone is in the area come check it out.

Wish me luck!!

OP
Slihn

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey good luck on your upcoming fight!!! Is this your first fight?

I have my first pro muay thai fight coming up in about 2 weeks, if you have any advice for me in switching from amateur tournaments to pro fights, it would be very appreciated. You can post it here http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73825

thanks in advance =)

No it will be my fourth ( 2-1-0) Hey good luck in your pro debute too!!
I once asked one of the pro fighters in our gym what the main difference between amature and pro fighters are. He told me that amatures train just as hard as the pros , but the pros are able to think more clearly in a fight. When they are in the ring , it is much more technical and they look for openings and try to create stregties more so than amatures

Jarrod G.

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
hopefully you will be 3-1-0 by next week =)

Thanks for the words of wisdom about staying focused in the ring.

OP
Slihn

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
hopefully you will be 3-1-0 by next week =)

Thanks for the words of wisdom about staying focused in the ring.

I hope so too man. Every win builds more confidence. But as my coach once told us "Winning isnt everything , its the only thing"

I have learn valueable things from all three of my fights

My first fight I wonby 2nd round TKO , but I was WAY to tired . So I really increased my cardio to make sure that I would never be that tired in the ring again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPvU__ci8ochttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPvU__ci8oc

In my second fight my cardio felt great , and I didnt even start to get tired until about the end of the third round but I lost due to not throw knees in the clinch. I waited for the perfect shot , but it never came , so I only threw about 2 knees whereas my oppoent threw about 50. Even though his had little power , the judges gave the fight to him. I learned te importance of clinch fighting, and to throw knees even if they dont land cleanly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPvU__ci8oc

My third fight , my cardio felt so so (but it was also 9:30pm and I was still abit sick) , I acutally won by throwing knees , I used abit more ring movement , and I was able to stay calm during thr fight, but I noticed that I really didnt throw combonations. I think that I may have throw a 1-2 twice , but NO punch kick combonations at all ; not even one, so I am going to work on that on my next fight. I heard my oppoent is taller so my plan is to use alot of left hook punch , right low kick combos , alot of body shots, alittle more focused on throws while in the clinch , and a few other things.

Jarrod G.

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
wow, those play-by-play's gave me alot to think about. Although I've been working on my punch/kick combos alot lately, I also have a tendancy to wait for good knee opportunities in the clinch. I'm going to try to force myself to throw mad knees. The only problem is that the Thais tend to throw you to the mat whenever you throw too many knees. My cardio is also no the greatest right now, hopefully i can get a KO or TKO in the first couple rounds cuz i dont think I'll make it to a decision.

thanks for sharing....Helping others to learn from your experience is what this is all about right =)

OP
Slihn

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
wow, those play-by-play's gave me alot to think about. Although I've been working on my punch/kick combos alot lately, I also have a tendancy to wait for good knee opportunities in the clinch. I'm going to try to force myself to throw mad knees. The only problem is that the Thais tend to throw you to the mat whenever you throw too many knees. My cardio is also no the greatest right now, hopefully i can get a KO or TKO in the first couple rounds cuz i dont think I'll make it to a decision.

thanks for sharing....Helping others to learn from your experience is what this is all about right =)

Yeah , I've noticed that Thais do throw you after throwing to many knees , thats something for me to tink about , in the opening seconds of my third fight we traded knees for awhile , I think a good throw would have done some good.

Hey what camp are you training out of? I am planning to going to Thailand in September (to Fairtex)

Jarrod G.

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm training on Koh Samui at the WMC Lamai gym. It's nice because the trainers are world class, but the atmosphere is totally relaxed. Plus it's on an island in the south of Thailand, not right in a major city, so the lifestyle that goes with it is really nice and chilled. I pay about $450cdn per month, which includes accomadations and two 2hr group training sessions per day.

plus it's under the flag of the World Muaythai Council so it's very reputable, and it is traditional Muay Thai, it hasn't been corrupted by MMA and such.

check it out
http://www.wmcmuaythaicamp.com/

Latest Discussions