Feeling Happy

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right, the following is a little self congratulatory, but I'm dead chuffed. Basically I am in to science and technology. In 2001, I did the CompTIA A+. Back then it was the big deal certification for newbies and peeps wanting to get the MCP or work in to the Cisco route. Anyway, the syllabus has changed dramatically that now you have three years, then a bridging exam. So I have decided to go for it and get the certification again. This will be another demon excised on my new self. Made a phone call to a provider via a previous email. Due to being April, they have a deal on. I have got the A+ (PC Engineer), the N+ (Network Technician) and have Microsoft and Cisco certification thrown in. All this for 400 quid, full price 1200 quid. Amazing what lady luck can throw at you sometimes :boing1:

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gone through the first vid. Must say that it is just as good as anything Professor Messer publishes. Mind you, the little voice in my head was stating "please don't be a nerd" over and over. Good though, but wish they would drop the ties. T-shirt and shirt combo with shorts and trainers. That is what is cool.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good on ya, good combo cert.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good on ya, good combo cert.

The MS Windows 7 one will be interesting. Never took much notice of the OS and its fancy bits, just used to configure XP-SP3/Vista. You need to intimately know the W7 installation process as the software element is a higher percentage over the A+ of old. Doing those two together should mesh quite nicely.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What line of work are you aiming towards? Are you in IT now?

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may know of this already but, here is a good site for learning about MS technologies.

Microsoft Virtual Academy ? Free IT Training, Online Learning of Microsoft Technologies

Cool beans. Will be adding this to my list. As to the former, I don't work in IT anymore. Got fed up with the stupid cases like one person who did not realize that the PSU had a on/off button. The person came to the shop in a frantic state and almost popped. Took me like three seconds to diagnose. Suppose it is funny now. Maybe if I could get a IT job if not deemed to old or inexperienced.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cool beans. Will be adding this to my list. As to the former, I don't work in IT anymore. Got fed up with the stupid cases like one person who did not realize that the PSU had a on/off button. The person came to the shop in a frantic state and almost popped. Took me like three seconds to diagnose. Suppose it is funny now. Maybe if I could get a IT job if not deemed to old or inexperienced.

Years ago, the first question asked was if the computer/component was plugged in to the electrical socket. Then we would ask if it was on. Most people know a little better as people have gotten used to electronics. But people can do some strange things.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Years ago, the first question asked was if the computer/component was plugged in to the electrical socket. Then we would ask if it was on. Most people know a little better as people have gotten used to electronics. But people can do some strange things.

Yeah, myself included :D I must be going back to the days of the T-Bird Athlon. Anyway another case in point. I buying a lappy of a work colleague. It has W7 pre installed. Now you would think that himself and the wife would figure that verifying the OS as a genuine product, would be something quite important. Strange things indeed!

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reminded me of a site I read around 16 years ago. Managed to find it.

Computer Stupidities

No doubt one of many lol

Someone who needs to sit on a pinecone said:
  • Customer: "Hi, I was wondering if you could fix my laptop. It's under warranty."
  • Tech Support: "What seems to be the trouble with it?"
  • Customer: "My wife got mad and threw it in the pool."

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tried to use google translate on the first post LOL. I have no idea what the certs are but wanted to take a moment to offer congratulations and encouragement. I hold the opinion that when we improve one area of our lives, all other areas also improve a bit. Being a student for life and always looking for opportunities to learn new things or different ways of doing something leads to a happier, more fulfilled, satisfied life in my opinion. Congrats and good luck with the study.

Regards
Brian King

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tried to use google translate on the first post LOL. I have no idea what the certs are but wanted to take a moment to offer congratulations and encouragement. I hold the opinion that when we improve one area of our lives, all other areas also improve a bit. Being a student for life and always looking for opportunities to learn new things or different ways of doing something leads to a happier, more fulfilled, satisfied life in my opinion. Congrats and good luck with the study.

Regards
Brian King

Thanks. The A+ used to be held in higher regard in terms of the overall syllabus, but nowadays it is taught in schools. The MS and Cisco certifications are the ones that have some meat and veg to them. i agree with the sentiment regarding being a student for life, but perhaps that is confined to the more curious. The peeps around here are a good example of what can be achieved, chill out and not let life take you too seriously. After all, this could be the Matrix.

Latest Discussions