Fed up with training now!!!!

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
I've been praticing MA for about 4/5 years and it seems like I'm getting absolutely no where at all. I know I'm a slow learner and it takes a while but no matter how much I pratice, at home as well, it always seems that there's always flaws in what I do. I'm not looking for perfection but it would be nice to be able to think that I could at least not hit in play fights with mates, yet somehow some hit always seems to get in.
I've tried different arts, but then I realised that I wanted one to focus on self defence and it just seems that no matter what I do somebody who is less experienced than me, can beat me, or stand a very good chance of beating me.
It would be nice to have a little natural talent or something but at the moment it just seems that I'm really inexperienced.
What am I doing so wrong? Why can I not feel confident?
I learn a self defence move then the next day it goes out the window! I'm limited to training with just myself at home, and the gym at the moment, so what do I do? mental image or what? In the end percievance may be the key but if you feel like I do, it seems a waste or time and money!

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's no way to avoid getting hit. Even folks like Sugar Ray Leonard who were known for their incredible defensive skills will tell you that. Nobody's defense is perfect,and no MA is going to give you perfect defense.

R

rmcpeek

Practice. Practice. Practice. It is the only real way to get better. I understand your frustration, but look at when you get hit as a learning process, not some failure.

You already know you don't like getting hit, it shows by your frustration in your message post. Now take and evaluate what you're doing after your training session. Be calm. Think through what you might have done differently to avoid it.

You will never, ever be completely able to avoid being hit. It happens to all of us. We get hit. It's part of it. It's what you learn from it that counts.

Remember, patience, stay calm, focus, and above all try not to let it get to you.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Self-defence moves" are generally silly and useless.

If you want to see progress and know you can beat others do something full contact for a while. Boxing, wrestling, Judo, Muay Thai, mma, etc.

Something that is based around sparring.

Traditional styles can be good or bad, but the marketing and way to sell people is to tell them they will be able to learn some moves and not get beat. But winning has a lot less to do with cool moves then it does with mindset and comfort zones.

As for getting hit, you're always gonna get hit, it's just a matter of how hard and how often. Until you accept that you can't fight.

R

rmcrobertson

If you're studying a worthwhile art, at a good school, have a good instructor, and are practicing regularly, don't worry about it. That's just your unconscious, trying to talk you out of advancing in your art. Big deal; happens to me and everybody serious all the time.

It may help to hear something I was told a while back--it's common for students to "plateau," and for everything to go flat, just before they make a big leap forward.

And sorry, Mr. Green, but I disagree. Assuming the stuff I wrote above is true, the last thing you should do is to switch to a "reality-based," or, "full contact," art. In the first place, you're probably doing all that stuff now. In the second, there are long-term considerations....like how much of a mess you would like your body to be when you're my age. And in the third--and particularly important--switching to any other art right now is just another way for your unconscious to talk you out of advancing.

So the long and the short--on some level, who cares if studying and practice are "fun," in the sense we Americans have got all too used to. Screw fun; you're trying to learn and to change.

Or as was said, just keep practicing. Good days, bad days...just keep at it.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like you've already received some good advice. There is no sure shot defense that will totally protect you at all times. We all have our good days and our bad days, and I think its safe to say that everyone, at some point in their training has been down the same road you're on. I wouldn't say to constantly change arts, but instead, re-evaluate your training, how you're training, etc.

Get together with some people for a sparring session, and have someone watch you closely. If you have a video camera available, you might consider taping yourself, and watching the match to see where you may have had openings, etc.

It appears that you have a strong desire to train in the arts. I know its easier said than done, but don't get frustrated. Keep training hard, and you'll see the results!! :supcool:

Mike

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
Hi,
I've been praticing MA for about 4/5 years and it seems like I'm getting absolutely no where at all. I know I'm a slow learner and it takes a while but no matter how much I pratice, at home as well, it always seems that there's always flaws in what I do. I'm not looking for perfection but it would be nice to be able to think that I could at least not hit in play fights with mates, yet somehow some hit always seems to get in.
I've tried different arts, but then I realised that I wanted one to focus on self defence and it just seems that no matter what I do somebody who is less experienced than me, can beat me, or stand a very good chance of beating me.
It would be nice to have a little natural talent or something but at the moment it just seems that I'm really inexperienced.
What am I doing so wrong? Why can I not feel confident?
I learn a self defence move then the next day it goes out the window! I'm limited to training with just myself at home, and the gym at the moment, so what do I do? mental image or what? In the end percievance may be the key but if you feel like I do, it seems a waste or time and money!

If I may add one observation: You state that you've been in the martial arts 4-5 years, yet I see three pretty different sysytems listed in your personal info. My recommendation would be to pick an art, one with an emphasis on self-defense (since that's what you mentioned you're interested in) and stick with it. Many times folks expect things to happen far too quickly in the martial arts. The reality is most stuff with any lasting value will take quite a while to learn and become reasonably competent at. Grab a sack of stick-to-it and be ready for the ups and downs of hard training. Sometimes you'll feel like your not going anywhere, that's the plateau Robert mentioned. Hang in there, your confidence will come as your skill increases.

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

Reactions: MJS

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
And sorry, Mr. Green, but I disagree. Assuming the stuff I wrote above is true, the last thing you should do is to switch to a "reality-based," or, "full contact," art. In the first place, you're probably doing all that stuff now. In the second, there are long-term considerations....like how much of a mess you would like your body to be when you're my age. And in the third--and particularly important--switching to any other art right now is just another way for your unconscious to talk you out of advancing.
All depends on what is going on, if it a dissillusionment with functionally lacking techniques, then switching to a contact based art will sort that out.

As for the body... I know what has done the long term damage to my body - years in traditional arts. The contact stuff is much easier on the body as odd as that might sound...

And on switching, depends, the frustration could be the unconcious telling you you're not yet in the right place.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I found that most everything mentioned above to be true. Especially about plateauing. Being agitated will only hinder your progress. A clouded mind is always a hindrance, and you sound prtty clouded. I would recommend you acknowledge improvement will take a long time and stop making mental expectations.

I would just like to support something mentioned earlier by MJS about video taping. I went this route and found it to be a huge help. Watching the video, what I thought I was doing and what I really was doing, were two very different things. Good Luck!

lulflo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I heard a great quote. "If you're complaining, you're not training". I know that I feel the same as you on occasion and since we are at about the same amount of time in serious training, your words ring loud and true. I find that strategy is something that has to be incorporated with training and specifically sparring.

For instance, I have been sparring the same person for a long time and he was a much lower rank in the beginning and I had no problem avoiding his kicks and punches, but as he has learned more offense, my defense has been lacking. It was only after I decided that I needed to pursue more of an offensive stand against him that I was able to subdue his attacks again and that insight has put me at a strong advantage again - until his next leap and so on.

You can't win a football game with great defense only, the same is true with a fight or sparring, you need to work on your offense as well. Consider your situation and do what is best for you, I'm sure you will find out that you know a lot more than you think and your confidence will surely be boosted when you take away the veil in front of your eyes and ATTACK! (once in a while at least)

Good luck to you.

Farang - Larry

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Remember that perfection is a road, not a destination. If being an elite martial artist was easy then don't you think we would all be elite? You have to just keep on going and you will get there. You are not going to see the changes, but others will over time.

R

rmcrobertson

Video, ATTACK!, switching arts. Technologies are useful; slogans are sometimes useful but usually just marketings; endlessly switching arts is a dead end. From what he's describing, I don't even see what the real problem is, so I say, skip 'em; just practice.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hits will always get in, no one is perfect, and no one can block effectively 100% of the time, but it is reacting to the hit that is also important, that will come with time. At the moment, you seem to have studied 3 different styles with what seems a lack of enthusiasm. Might I suggest you give an MMA school a try, maybe you need something less orthodox.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
Video, ATTACK!, switching arts. Technologies are useful; slogans are sometimes useful but usually just marketings; endlessly switching arts is a dead end. From what he's describing, I don't even see what the real problem is, so I say, skip 'em; just practice.

I agree. That is, ideally what needs to be done...practice. As for the video. This is in no way a gimmick. In fact, it is a very useful training tool. The poster was asking for suggestions, and suggestions were given. Ultimately, we are all going to have our own opinions as to what is best and what isn't but the fact remains that that person will have to decide for himself what he wants to do and what'll work for him. He is having a problem, and if the video taping works for him, so he can see an opening, weak spot, etc., then he is obviously on the road to improving his training.

As for attack...well, that is not my post, so I can't give the meaning of it, but I will give my opinion as to what I think it means. I take that as him saying that he needs to be more aggressive.

Mike

Kamaria Annina

Green Belt
Reaction score
Getting hit is a part of martial arts, it is inevitable. However, if you have a bad night training, let it go, and continue with your training. It isn't worth getting frustrated over. Forget about it and move on.

OP
Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ah, some really good replies!

Thanks guys I really appreciate your feedback! Its made me think again about what I'm doing and how I'm percieving things. A big thanks to all of you again :)

Kind Regards

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Plateaus are inevitable...maybe even helpful. Remember, the only battle is to improve yourself. Work through it!

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Pick ONE art, and work on it for a while. It takes coninuity to make your mind quick with techs.

Latest Discussions