• other... please elaborate below

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I choose other - for the Wakazashi or the Japanese short sword.

:asian:

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DanRyunAndrew said:
Remember, the Roman Gladius conquered Country after Country to acheive what was the Roman Empire!

Andy

I know I'm being nit picky, but superior training, support and tactics achieved the status of the Roman Empire, not weapons choice.

After I noticed this thread was bumped I remembered a recent conversation that relates well. As I stated, I love the kuk because of it's sturdiness, multiple uses and historic design, and I have to say that the situation dictates the weapon usage (blades are not an exception), but I think that the most refined blades or the blades that have been most distilled to thier purpose are the katana and the rapier/foil/epee'. The rapier/foil/epee' has been trimmed and condensed down to a tool for dispatching an unarmoured opponent quickly and efficiently.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
I chose claidmore, as I feel very comfortable with it. I do have one forged for "re-enactment" (read: combat), not show. Here is a picture of one from the company where I got mine.

Could be due to the scottish heritage, could be due to the 6'6", 350+ frame... It just feels right... :boing2:

H

Han_Tsu_Ki

I choose Katana but only because it said (and other oriental swords). I use a Katana a lot but my all time favorite would be my staff that separates into two swords. Not quite sure what it is called but i like the feel of it better (less formal the traditional katana arts) If anyone knows the proper name please inform me.

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Butterfly swords,kukri and a very rare cane sword called a "fish spine"

Hard to find,but worth the money if you can get one!
icon10.gif

C

Cobra

I would go with the rapier. It is quick and fast, and feels right for my hands.

W

white mantis

I vote for the middle eastern scimitar. It's just the right sword for me.:asian:

D

domoarigatou

katana all the way, for me that is. but currently i use that and a combat knife/thrower that i inherited...ooh pretty.

~domo

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would say that "any" handheld knife, even though I would preferr the katana instead of many of the others mentioned.

/Yari

RanaHarmamelda

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Claymore -- I like the large, 2-handed European blades. I love using a sword that is almost as tall as my 5 feet 7 inches. *grin*

L

Limeydog

I have trained mainly with the Katana over the years but have just gotten into Theatrical Combat (I'm a stuntman in LA - last 2 years) and have fallen in love with the Gladius...love it. Oh check out the site www.theatricalcombat.com

The swordmasters choreographed all the fights for Master and Commander

Later

sojobow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Nightingale said:
what's your favorite sword?
Preference: Ken, or Chokuto (straight, double or single edged sword)
I voted Katana (or other oriental blade) although I really don't care much for the Katana. My preference is the double edged Chokuto but a single edged Ken is also a preference. My intent is to redesign my Ninja -to by shortening the blade length. I also own a "poor man's sword." I purchased a double edged chokuto and am awaiting delivery. A secondary choice would be the Jian. Very close second at that.

Incidentally, anyone interested in forging their own blades and making their own swords? It can be done for about US$100.00 in equipment so don't throw out that old barbeque pit. Need polishing lessons. Any help?

http://www.kultofathena.com/dragonchokutosword.html
http://www.armsofvalour.com/miva/me...de=AOVL&Product_Code=IP-026-2&Category_Code=O

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
OULobo said:
LONG LIVE THE KUKRI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree, It's a wicked blade. The things I have seen in training with a dull blade for safety are awsome and make me cringe thinking of a sharp Kukri doing it's work. I like my Kris and my Thai Dha (Darb) also.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Although I practice and teach Chinese martial arts, I also do iaido and I had to vote for the katana. It just feels so comfortable to me! But I'm also very much at home with the jien (sword) and dao (broadsword)...

mylifejr

White Belt
Reaction score
I love keris and parang lading... ;)

Keris/kris:
2003-06.jpg

Parang Lading:
i-ParangLading.JPG

I have one question: In Malaysia or Indonesia, the spelling of keris weapon is keris. But, in others countries what did you call it? Kris? Kriss? :)

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Katana comes first, since that's what I'm most familiar with.

Other than that, my time in fencing (foil and saber; I didn't really get a chance to enjoy the epee) also gives me a preference for the rapier.