MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

TheOriginalName

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What a shame to see this stunning aircraft go to the scrap yard.
For those who have an interest in the aerospace industry and specifically LM's Skunk Works make sure you get your hands on the book titled the same. It's an awesome read - written by the guy who ran the place when the F-117 was being designed.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think they're scrapping them just yet. Most likely going into storage for a decade in case they need them. I read something about the pilots not being too happy with the decision.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It was, simultaneously, an engineering masterpiece and a flop as a fighter. It was sub-sonic for pete's sake, with NO air to air capability!!! That is a ground support aircraft, like the A10, not a fighter plane...
Wikipedia entry

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The design was unique, and from what I've heard a royal PITA to fly, but has it's fans. Me, I like the B2 more. Reminds me of Batman. LOL!

The sucessor fighter (F22) looks more like a fighter to me.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think they're scrapping them just yet. Most likely going into storage for a decade in case they need them. I read something about the pilots not being too happy with the decision.

The pilots are never happy when the AF retires an Aircraft, they tend to identify pretty strongly with the plane that they fly.

Personally, I see this as a good thing. It is an incredible plane in what it did - technology wise, mission wise, and culture wise. But I think it was time for it to go. It can be replaced by newer, more high tech aircraft.

I also have the point of view that we NEED to retire more planes. We have a very very old fleet and it is aging every day. Some of the aircraft that we fly are over 50 years old now. In order to remain the world's forefront Air and Space power we need to adapt and keep up - there are many many countries who are not far behind at all.

TheOriginalName

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Note: Yes, this aircraft is subsonic. Why, because at the time they did not have the computing ability to generate a stealthy shape that would allow for supersonic flight.
Was this a disadvantage: not at all. The aircraft could not be seen, so their was no need for it to fly supersonic.

The name "Fighter" was misused with this aircraft. It was never intended to fullfil such a role. As noted, it has no air-to-air capability. It's also not a nible aircraft - not something you want to be in during a dogfight.
The aircraft was designed as a bomber - and it was used as a bomber. It completed this role perfectly.

In terms of what it was like to fly - from the reading i have done on the subject i am under the belief that it was the perfect aircraft to fly. It made use of revolutionary flight control systems (i believe the prototype actually made use of an F-16 system but don't hold me to that). I remember reading a story once that a pilot landed after a mission and steped out to learn that half the tail had been blown off by anti-aircraft guns. He had not known due to the flight control system automatically doing it's thing in removing the unwanted motions.

At the end of the day this aircraft was a massive risk - and one that paid off and gave the US worldwide air surperiority. It will go down in history as the turning point in military aircraft design.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score

That would seem the prudent course, especially given the age of other current aircraft and the possibility of acquisition or deployment delays in the new fighters.

I believe the Russians used to keep tanks in storage for decades, reasoning that in true war of attrition even an old T-62 beats walkin'.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

This is one that I'm not too sure about. This the HUGE security considerations, keeping them around is going to be no small feat. I imagine that a few will be kept around, but this isn't exactly the kind of plane that you can just put out in the Boneyard. In fact, you really can't even take pictures of it from most angles, let alone get near it. The RAM is also VERY heavily protected.

Now putting an entire fleet (not sure how many we have) somewhere, under CONSTANT GUARD, for an indefinate period of time will be expensive and difficult.

TheOriginalName

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is one that I'm not too sure about. This the HUGE security considerations, keeping them around is going to be no small feat. I imagine that a few will be kept around, but this isn't exactly the kind of plane that you can just put out in the Boneyard. In fact, you really can't even take pictures of it from most angles, let alone get near it. The RAM is also VERY heavily protected.

Now putting an entire fleet (not sure how many we have) somewhere, under CONSTANT GUARD, for an indefinate period of time will be expensive and difficult.

The above is absolutely true - a lot of it's technologies are still heavily classified.

On top of the security cost their is also the cost of maintainance. Unfortunately you can't just let aicraft sit around and not be used - it's not good for them. They need a certain number of hours to keep everything in working condition. As these aircraft are still cutting edge in terms of technology i would expect that such upkeep to be far greater.

HeartofJuyoMk2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Oh wow, what a shame to see one of the least aerodynamic designs to ever hit the drawing boards go to waste... B-2 ftw!

Latest Discussions