Explanations of Terminology

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mr. C.,

Could you explain these please :)

Do not "Butt" when you hook. (From Hooking Wings)

It is a common error to "Butt" on the second move.
(From Darting Mace)

Thanks~!

~Me

P.S.

Leon applied for IKKO membership here on the board but you've been busy.. so when you get a free moment, let's get him aboard :)

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Alright interaction. Yipee. Hopefully we can talk amongst ourselves before the big man has to set us straight. :uhyeah:

OK, as I have not heard those phrases before, my "best guess" is:
That both of those come from a common problem for beginners. Even though they are in the middle of the belt ranks which are more commonly intermediates yet "they" still have flaws. Leaning forward is common and could cause accidental head butts. Although head butts have their places and can be inserted into techniques (as long as they don't break the flow of the technique) leaning and/or bending forward isn't good. It causes being off balance and can disrupt the flow of techniques.
My example for Hooking Wings:
On the initial move, what would happen if the attacker really committed the attack? Even if you step back for a bracing angle "if" you lean forward while hooking you might get your nose busted on the attackers head.

My example for Darting Mace:
After the left puch it collapses down onto the opponents arms into a pressing check while shifting into a forward bow to punch with the right arm. If you check the arms downward hard while shifting and "leaning forward" you might accidently be head butting but remember the attacker while be more upright and you lower depending upon you and they being the same size. If their taller then (shrugs shoulders) you're at a more disadvantage.

Well that's my 2 pennies. Right or wrong the big man will set us straight. :)

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This one is a little more tricky but I'll give it a go. Again, right or wrong I'll give my opinion.

I've heard many things related to the And-Then. Don't step And-Then strike. Don't strike And-Then step. The first move should be Step back towards 5 with a right grabbing to pinning check while executing a left palm heel to grabbing groin strike (and hold on for dear life) :) . Step/strike simultaneously not step And-Then strike. Proper body mechanics is a must here especially for leaning over. It's easy to just try and get the technique to work but if the opponent is leaning forward after the groin strike and you are off balance bending at the waist the attacker easily has access to your back. The next move while stepping towards 1 you want the attacker to step with you to have access to the right vertical hook kick. When making the step you have to end up in a good neutral bow stance or again you'll be off balance (maybe it's your "butt" sticking in towards the attacker) :uhyeah: while pulling the attacker when you step.
Last move when the right leg buckles the inside of the attackers left knee you settle in your stance with a right back elbow and a left 4 finger thrust over the shoulder. Don't buckle And-Then elbow and eye poke. We want to send the attacker through the back wall not have them land on top of us. Maybe the "butt" is an accidental head butt from the opponent on the last move. Keep the left hand up in a positional check or give it application as a 4 finger thrust over the shoulder.

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
eventually....does the term "WITH"...I don't wanna say take precedence...but more so...um...I guess...used more often than "AND?"

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK TESS and Jason..... (sorry it took me so long to reply).....

jfarnsworth said:
Alright interaction. Yipee. Hopefully we can talk amongst ourselves before the big man has to set us straight. :uhyeah:

OK, as I have not heard those phrases before, my "best guess" is:

That both of those come from a common problem for beginners.

Leaning forward is a common mistake and could cause accidental head butts.

Although head butts "can" be inserted into techniques, it is not recomended unless deleberate. soooooooo bending forward isn't good at this time.

My example for Hooking Wings:

On the initial move, what would happen if the attacker really committed the attack? Even if you step back for a bracing angle "if" you lean forward while hooking you might get your nose busted on the attackers head.

My example for Darting Mace:

After the left puch it collapses down onto the opponents arms into a pressing check while shifting into a forward bow to punch with the right arm. If you check the arms downward hard while shifting and "leaning forward" you might accidently be head butting but remember the attacker while be more upright and you lower depending upon you and they being the same size. If they are taller... then (shrugs shoulders) you're at a more disadvantage.

Well that's my 2 pennies. Right or wrong the big man will set us straight. :)
I agree..... couldn't have said it better myself....... sheesh <<I better look out for my position in Kenpo... this guy knows his stuff>>!!
:)

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Chronuss said:
eventually....does the term "WITH"... (I don't wanna say take precedence) ... but more so... um ... I guess ... used more often than "AND?"
Well, AND will be eliminated from your advanced stages...... so I guess you are right! with will be used more often than and. wink

:)

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well gee.. how come it didn't say 'HEAD' Butting.. here I was telling Leon to 'tuck his butt' *snickers* (he does have a ghetto booty* oh Leon.. where are you.. ??

Thanks guys~!!

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
I agree..... couldn't have said it better myself....... sheesh <<I better look out for my position in Kenpo... this guy knows his stuff>>!
Thank you. :asian:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KenpoTess said:
Mr. C.,

Could you explain these please :)

Do not "Butt" when you hook. (From Hooking Wings)

It is a common error to "Butt" on the second move.
(From Darting Mace)
Are there any more of these we can converse with? I kinda just remembered this thread and wondered if there were others we could explore.

Latest Discussions