example tenno kata

J

johan3732

Does anyone has an example , videoclip of how to perform the tenno kata?

thx

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you mean the Goju Ryu Kata Tensho? I have never heard of Tenno. If it is Tenno what style is it Okinawa, Japanese, Chinese, Korean.
Bob:asian:

OP
J

johan3732

It is really Tenno kata of the shotokan style. No mistake about that :D

OP
J

johan3732

Thanks for the url :asian: , but these videclips i have allready. The tenno kata is the one i am missing in my collection, like to complete it.

Anybody else an idea?

kenmpoka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ten no Kata was devised by O-sensei Funakoshi. It is not practiced in JKA Shotokan style. Some Shotokai group still practice it. It is just a two man drill. You can find it in Funakoshi's Karate Do Kyohan" translated by Tsutomo Oshima. No video clips.

Salute.

OP
J

johan3732

I have to practice this for my brown belt (3th kyu) shotokan and like some examples of it. Does not need to be videoclip, maybe a good book or something might help.

thx

kenmpoka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by johan3732
I have to practice this for my brown belt (3th kyu) shotokan and like some examples of it. Does not need to be videoclip, maybe a good book or something might help.

thx
Like I said, pick up a copy of "Karate Do Kyohan" by Gichin Funakoshi. That is the only place that I now of.

Salute.

OP
J

johan3732

I have looked at the site that Old Fat Kenpoka pointed out, and i notice a couple of things

*Shotokan is calles shotokan ryu
*And a different color ranking is used(We have white, yellow, orange, green,blue, brown,brown,brown,black )
*Also some kata's are perfromed slightly different

Now i have a question for the karate historicus among us.

Are there different shotokan systems used around the world? I allways thought shotokan was shotokan everywhere the same.

Like to learn more about this. And yes i am certainly going to look for the books of funakoshi. I hope they are still sold
:p

kenmpoka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by johan3732
I have looked at the site that Old Fat Kenpoka pointed out, and i notice a couple of things

*Shotokan is calles shotokan ryu
*And a different color ranking is used(We have white, yellow, orange, green,blue, brown,brown,brown,black )
*Also some kata's are perfromed slightly different

Now i have a question for the karate historicus among us.

Are there different shotokan systems used around the world? I allways thought shotokan was shotokan everywhere the same.

Like to learn more about this. And yes i am certainly going to look for the books of funakoshi. I hope they are still sold
:p
Well, the first recommended link is definetly the standard Japan Karate association execution of the 26 standard kata. As far the Shotokan Ryu goes, I don't know the teacher's lineage and no info is given on his website, but the execution is definetly some offshoot, not Shotokai nor JKA. You might want to e-mail the instructor and ask for the specifics.

Salute,

Tim

White Belt
Reaction score
I don't know of a video of this but it is not a kata but an exercise. The book ,Karate Do Kyohan, earlier referenced does have it and all of it's moves outlined. There are two. Ten no kata omote and ten no kata ura.
Omote does not require a partner. Ura does. There are ten moves or series of moves in the exercise. 1-4 stepping forward & 6-10 stepping back from yoi. Right side is first to move always forward or back. You do each move 4 times alternating each time and going back to yoi in between each move on your own. Kiai on the 4th and hold. Then yoi and do the next until all ten are completed.
Ura is perfomed with a partner using moves 6-10 of omote each alternating as attacker and defender. Similar to the Ippon kumite series.

As far as the Shotokan-Ryu. Sounds like an Okinawan branch of the tree to me. It all started with Funakoshi who was Okinawan. The style started in Japan at least as far as the name goes. There is alot of history in the afore mentioned book.
There are many other books out there. You are safe with Funakoshi and Nakayama. Not that others aren't but it is a direct lineage.

Hope this helps.

harleyt26

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In the branch of Motobuha Shito ryu I have trained in there was a set of three kihon kata:Jin no kata,kata of the people:Chi no kata,kata of the earth:ten no kata,kata of the heavens.Jin no kata was the same embusen as the taikyoku sho and Chi no kata was the same as Gekisai dai ich (Goju Ryu)or Fukyu kata ni(Shorin Ryu),Ten no kata is the same as Fukyu kata ich(Shorin Ryu).I would suggest a search for Nagamines Fukyu kata ich,he has a very good DVD out.It is very much like a cross between Pinan Shodan and Pinan nidan,same embusen.Hopefully helpful,Tom Hodges

Sensei Tom O'Brien

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree with Tim about his description of tenno kata. I was taught this by Sensei Takahashi. It looks boring but it teaches the basic blocks, punches and stances. It is good kihon. If you want more info on Shotokan try this link: http://www.theshotokanway.com/.
Thanks,
Sensei Tom

Latest Discussions