Everything you've been dreaming of...

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
I dont know how to phrase this without it sounding bad. I'll do the best I can, and just keep in mind it sounds yucky but its not.

I started Kenpo in sept of 04, and something with me just clicked. I train as often as I can, 6 days a week usually. I take private lessons twice a week as well. I can't tell you what it is, but everything about it just feels right. It's more than just something to do, the entire atmosphere, being at the studio, it makes me happier than I've ever felt elsewhere. I think it shows. I've been told that sometimes I walk in frowning or quiet, only to be laughing, joking, and smiling left and right only minutes later.

To my point;

Today one of my favorite instructors (this statement in itself is misleading; they are all my favorites) told me that he is going to start another location of our studio in the near-ish future - the earliest it could happen is next year. He told me that he could see me working for him, after all, he couldn't just steal karen (One of our location's female instructors.) He said he wanted to start recruiting people, let them know what was going on. I think he just wanted to put the idea in my head. (Last week when a little boy asked me if I was an instructor when I was helping him out with a kick, the same instructor said "Not yet, anyway". I was a bit surprised at that, but I think its all making sense now.) Sorry, I'm sort of rambling here.

I fell in love with kenpo almost immediately, and have often entertained the thought of becoming an instructor. However, I have been afraid that I will never be good enough. What he said to me made me think that maybe I could be good enough. On the other hand, I'm confused. I mean, I'm only a blue belt. There are things that point to potential in me, but at the end of the day, I am still only a blue belt.

On the one hand I want so badly to believe that this could really happen for me, because nothing else is exciting to me. I mean, I go to college, but I have no major, I have no direction, because the things they say they can teach me just dont interest me.

But on the other hand, I'm just a blue belt. I'm just 17. I'm going for green soon, but the highest I could be a year from now would be a brown belt, 3rd or 2nd. Can you be a good instructor at such a rank?

I don't know what to think about any of this.

Also, my best friend from the studio is a blackbelt who I know wants to be an instructor very badly, but I don't think that's going to happen. His instructor is the one who talked to me today, and if he had mentioned the same thing to my friend I would have heard. I don't want to say anything, but if it happens, he's gonna find out eventually.

Comments on any and all of this would be appreciated so much.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Since you are already helping out fellow students with their kicks and basics, you are already well on your way to learning how to teach. A blue belt is just the intermediate level. You will eventually get to the advanced level. I also started helping my fellow students when I was at blue belt level too. Now I am a brown belt and working hard for my next brown belt level. My instructor has me work with other lower belt students whenever possible.

You wonder whether you will get good enough? Yes you will. It is just a matter of time, a matter of continuing to help fellow students improve their motion, and by the time you get to brown/black, you'll be able to see a big difference in yourself.

Apparently your instructor can see that in you. You are a dedicated, hard working, enthusiastic student who is willing to put in the necessary training to become better. Have faith in yourself and your instructor. Having a goal of being an instructor is good--it reminds you of always being sure to look at your abilities and how you convey information to others. Do not worry too much about your best friend. Your friend's progress to become an instructor (if that is what he wants) will eventually happen. A goal made can be achieved. I am not sure who said this, but I really like this quote: "Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake to do them."

Good luck!

- Ceicei

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sam- Congrats on finding something you love! Just don't get burnt out-

Ceicei hit all the high points but i'll throw in my .02 cents---

First off I admire your humility, that in and of itself is one of the greatest qualities a teacher can have!

I got really involved at blue belt level also and my dream was to become a martial arts teacher full-time... I attended as many classes as possible (like you) and helped teach kids classes, stayed after every class to pratice and showed up early for every class... I would practice on the dojo floor at these times and with any luck my teacher would come out and maybe show me something new or make a correction on something I was doing. It was during this time that my instructor took me under his wing and the rest is history!

I fulfilled my dream and was teaching full-time in the early 90's and while I was VERY poor- it was maybe the greatest couple years of my life! If you want it, go get it! Your instructor obviously sees a lot of potential in you so keep your nose down and train hard-

Also, do not worry about your friend, if you have one eye on him you only have one eye left with which to find the way-

Cheers Sam and keep in touch!

James

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Samantha,

Often, when one starts to teach, there are two people who are learning. The process of taking something that is known, and communicating it in a meaningful way to someone who doesn't know, forces a re-examination of assumptions that sheds new light on the material. This means, that at anytime, a practitioner, at any level, can become a teacher; when they are teaching.

Teaching is a process, not a person.

That being said, let's take a look at some cold, hard truths.

Was the person who approached you the owner of the studio where you work? I am assuming not.

There are very few requirements when one desires to open their own Martial Arts Studio; it only takes a months rent and a sign. If you a regular student, that would be an incredible asset to someone trying to get a business started. Having a "body" in the studio every day has an incredibly high value to the new business owner.

I am wondering if the owner of your studio is aware of the conversation between this instructor and you. If the owner (or other instructors) became aware of it, how do you think they would react? How do you feel about that? What would happen if you approached the owner of your current school, and asked him if you could work teaching the "Little Dragons"?

Another thing to think about, what type of renumeration would you expect for moving with this instructor? Is the ego-stroke of being called 'instructor', and a few free lessons, going to be appropriate compensation for the hours of instruction you will be doing? I bet this part of the conversation hasn't come up, and it likely won't be brought up by him. There are no 'right' or 'wrong' position when it comes to compensation, but knowing where you stand before you make commitments is important.

My definition of a job is: I do a whole bunch of crap for you, I normally wouldn't do. And you give to me a whole bunch of money, you normally wouldn't.

In my youth, I let 'ego-strokes' substitute for cash. It was a bad idea then. It is probably still a bad idea now.

Lastly, (at least for the moment) you should recognize the schizm that this instructor's move is likely to create. Quite probably, bridges to all of your other 'favorite' instructors will be burned in a way that will make it difficult and awkward for them to be rebuilt. A new studio in town will demand, unfortunately, all the students to align their loyalty. The Martial Arts world is driven by egos. And ego will demand that your old school and your new school not be on friendly terms.

I would suggest you think very carefully before making any commitments. Try to see what the outcome will be; what are the consequences of those actions?

In the end, all actions have consequences. Carefully considered, they can be anticipated. And you can be proud, and pleased with your decisions and actions; which ever way the lead.

Good Luck,

Mike

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good post, Mike. As usual, you have a great grasp on politics. It's good to remember that even people we admire can be self-serving. However, don't let it turn you into a cynic. Keep your head up and tuck your chin.

OP
S

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
I am wondering if the owner of your studio is aware of the conversation between this instructor and you. If the owner (or other instructors) became aware of it, how do you think they would react? How do you feel about that? What would happen if you approached the owner of your current school, and asked him if you could work teaching the "Little Dragons"?
I'm not sure if the owner knows that he specifically spoke with me, but I cant see him reacting negatively, other than me only being a blue belt. I think I haven't made the situation entirely clear: the school I go to is one of four locations in the area, the school this instructor is opening is the same school; he goes with the master instructor's blessing. The fact of the matter is, our school is so big that we cannot continue to expand. We have like 12 instructors and 250 students. The students at the current 4 (soon to be 5?) schools sometimes train with each other. The other 3 studios happened in the exact same way.
A new studio in town will demand, unfortunately, all the students to align their loyalty. The Martial Arts world is driven by egos. And ego will demand that your old school and your new school not be on friendly terms.

I don't think there can be loyalty issues when its the same school. Students that train at the current location will be welcome to train at the new location, and visa versa. The current location and the 4 others that exist are on friendly terms. I don't see why it would be any different.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations, Sam! It is gratifying to see a young person such as yourself so dedicated to their chosen field. Don't worry about the rank - it used to be common for brown belts (which you say you will be at or near) to run their OWN clubs under the supervision of a black belt. As Michael Edward put so well - keep an eye out on the politics and conditions of service, though. Best of luck and great work! I'm sure that instructor sensed your dedication and integrity and that is why he made the comment. :asian:

Postscript: DON'T drop out of college for this! I'm sure you wouldn't, just wanted to make sure. :ultracool

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That is what I thought... It is a friendly network of schools- Makes for a smooth transition..

You sure have a great attitude and I am sure it will take you far...

Keep us posted and train hard!

james

T

TheBattousai

Just have confidence in yourself, like your instructor obviously does, and good luck.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, that is a feather in your cap. don't let it go to your head!!
icon12.gif

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Congrats! You've obviously been recognized as someone with the potential to teach. That's huge. You can't be a BB if you don't know how to teach.

As for being a Blue Belt, don't worry about it. You're going to be working with new students, and at your level, you will be able to teach them quite well. It's possible to become an instructor at our school at Blue Belt, once the instructor training program has been completed. An instructor may only teach students at least two belt levels below their own. A blue belt would thereby be restricted to teaching up to orange belt. Few students at that level can truly benefit from the advanced knowledge and ability an upper brown belt or BB possesses. In fact, you may notice that BBs teaching new students don't teach them anything more detailed than what you teach them.

When it comes to school politics, duck! Let those above you deal with those issues, don't get involved and don't take sides. If a discussion starts and you don't feel like you should be a part of it, excuse yourself and walk away. It could be that this instructor is striking out on his own, without the school owners blessing, or it could be a simple expansion of the system with this guy running the new school. Regardless, you don't want to be involved in that part of it.

Latest Discussions