Equal Rights Amendment

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
link

This WP link claims that people are pushing for the ERA again.

Federal and state lawmakers have launched a new drive to pass the Equal Rights Amendment, reviving a feminist goal that faltered a quarter-century ago when the measure did not gain the approval of three-quarters of the state legislatures.

Some of the old ERA associated characters are being reborn as well.

In the 1970s, Schlafly and others argued that the ERA would lead to women being drafted by the military and to public unisex bathrooms. Today, she warns lawmakers that its passage would compel courts to approve same-sex marriages and deny Social Security benefits for housewives and widows.

Some of the opponents are even claiming that an ERA could be used to justify abortion. I find the opponents arguments listed in this link very unconvincing and appear to be designed to illicit a visceral reaction.

Anyways, has anyone else heard of this resurgence?

Personally, I don't see what value an ERA would provide in the current US society. Are there really any doors closed to females that would be opened by this amendment? Also, I suspect that there are still some women making less money for the same work but would this amendment help resolve that? Can anyone think of a reason why this Amendment is necessary or even useful?

I think this just a way for Phyllis to fund her retirement.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You really have to be carefull with femenism, overprotection puts women right back into the minority. For instance on some college campuses they suggest a man have a women sign a waver before sexual activity; suggesting, women are not responsible for their own actions at any given time.
Sean

OP
Shuto

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
For instance on some college campuses they suggest a man have a women sign a waver before sexual activity;
Sean

Wow, I've never heard of that before. I guess you have to carry more than just a rubber in your wallet nowadays.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally, I don't see what value an ERA would provide in the current US society. Are there really any doors closed to females that would be opened by this amendment? Also, I suspect that there are still some women making less money for the same work but would this amendment help resolve that? Can anyone think of a reason why this Amendment is necessary or even useful?

First off, great link Shuto. Second, the fact that in this day and age women on average are making less money for the same work that a man does leads me to believe that something has to be done. Is this amendment that something? I hesitently say no, and here's why: To my knowledge, women are are a protected class across the country, so why add another law that could possibly be abused. As a protected class, women can already demand equal pay, equal treatment, etc. I think the better question is why are protected classes (like women) still getting screwed all the time?

OP
Shuto

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
First off, great link Shuto. Second, the fact that in this day and age women on average are making less money for the same work that a man does leads me to believe that something has to be done. Is this amendment that something? I hesitently say no, and here's why: To my knowledge, women are are a protected class across the country, so why add another law that could possibly be abused. As a protected class, women can already demand equal pay, equal treatment, etc. I think the better question is why are protected classes (like women) still getting screwed all the time?

Yep. I'd also add that a lot of people feel that they are underpaid and think that some of their coworkers are undeservedly getting paid more than them. This may actually be true in some cases but I suspect that it's not true in many if not most. I predict that an ERA amendment would spur a lot of questionalble litigation in the wage equalization area that might correct a few individual wrongs but be detrimental to society as a whole.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As much as I hate to use generalities I think one of the biggest factors in salary gaps between men and women is that way too many women are not effective negotiators in terms of salary or position. On the flipside, men...with all their testosterone...tend to negociate more aggressively to get what they want.

In one of those airline magazines I recall seeing advertisments for negotiation seminars on tape. The tagline for the ad was "You don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate."

It's a tough issue, that's for sure.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are there really any doors closed to females that would be opened by this amendment? Also, I suspect that there are still some women making less money for the same work but would this amendment help resolve that? Can anyone think of a reason why this Amendment is necessary or even useful?

No, No, and No.

I am against any law that elevates any group of people above all the others. It isn't equal if one group of people get special protection above others. Just my opinion.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Let's be completely honest here. Women have gotten the shaft, figuratively and literally, since the beginning of agriculture 10,000 years ago. There are still a lot of laws which treat them as not-quite-competent human beings. And the attitudes of a lot of guys towards them are vile.

We also live in an age where the UnFundamentalists croak "Frog!" and watch the Republican Party hop around Pennsylvania Avenue. They are trying to reinstate "traditional values" that include legally mandated obedience, the end of birth control (not just abortion but all birth control) and a state of affairs where men and women have rigidly defined gender roles and legal status. The Federal agencies which were supposed to protect women, those with unpopular religions and such like the EEOC have been "re-missioned" to defend the right of the Religious Right to weld itself to the government and get special privileges.

In a world like this Constitutional protections for women seem in order. Even if Shrubus Minimus thinks of the Constitution as "That damned piece of paper."

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are still a lot of laws which treat them as not-quite-competent human beings.

Are there really? (not being sarcastic, just would like to know some examples)

I am absolutely all for equal rights and equal treatment regardless of gender. Not laws that elevate one group over another.

(Equal means taking those things we don't like with those that we do, not being selective about it)

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
As much as I hate to use generalities I think one of the biggest factors in salary gaps between men and women is that way too many women are not effective negotiators in terms of salary or position.

Actually, I don't think this is a major factor. When studies compare the wages of younger, childless women with men in their cohort, they earn 98 cents on the male dollar. On the average though, due to childbearing and childrearing which is still mostly done by women, women work fewer hours on average and take longer breaks (i.e. the first few years of junior's life), which seems to be what is mostly responsible for the gap.

What should be done about this isn't entirely clear. In most cases, it is clear that companies are not deliberately shorting women, which the childless women data makes clear. Having men take on a greater share of childrearing duties may do more to alleviate the gap. However, this is also a problem because what may be good for all women isn't necessarily good for individual women - many individual women want that time with their children, it may make economic sense for the couple if the man works more, etc.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Men are more likely to be hired, or get that promotion over women because they don't get pregnant.
Sean