Epiphany!

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
A thought occurred to me the other day – almost a revelation.

Being a TKD guy, one of the things I have strived for in my training is to understand the potential combat applications (bunkai) to my forms. I’ve had instructors that have had no clue but only do the forms because they’re required for rank promotion (McDojang!), and I’ve had instructors that were very knowledgeable and helpful in helping me learn and understand those applications.

I got to thinking about Kenpo (American Kenpo), and realized that the whole system can be thought of as based on combat application. For example, in TKD, one of the more frequently used line drills involves stepping back into a back stance while performing a middle block. We sometimes follow that up with either a punch or kick and begin the drill again. In doing this drill, we’re left to imagine the attack – a punch/push/grab etc., and react accordingly.

In Kenpo, however, you’ve got Delayed Sword. You step back into a neutral bow, execute a middle block, and follow it up with a front kick and sword hand to the neck. You’re basically doing the same drill as I do, but with one major improvement – you do it against a live partner. In doing so, you get a better feel for distance, timing, footwork – and dare I say it…contact! This, to me at least represents the true combat application to those individual techniques. You’re not left to imagine an attack and how you could use this block or that strike, you actually do it.

I’m not sure why I’m so profoundly affected by this realization. I just find it ironic in a way that there is an entire martial art that physically manifests that which I strive for and can only “imagine”. Gets me to thinking more about Kenpo…

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you not do many partner drills in your TKD class, Yeti?

It seems in our classes we usually learned a technique, worked it solo for a good while, and then partnered up and continued working it. This allowed us to acclimate to the mechanics of the technique but then put it into a situation where we could more accurately guage range, tactile perception, and examine possible counters.

Then, when we spar we realize that nothing is at all like it seems from doing partner drill. lol

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes, that is what I love aoubt the Art as well. And to add on to that, there are technique combos for a wide variety of attacks, so you can get this "live" feeling against a lot more than just a straight punch.

but now that you've got the idea, you can start looking for responses to those other attacks in your drills.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
Do you not do many partner drills in your TKD class, Yeti?

It seems in our classes we usually learned a technique, worked it solo for a good while, and then partnered up and continued working it. This allowed us to acclimate to the mechanics of the technique but then put it into a situation where we could more accurately guage range, tactile perception, and examine possible counters.
Yes, I think this is common in TKD one-step sparring and also in many styles of Karate. We always did it that way in Karate, at least. You need to feel it to believe it!

Kosho-Monk

Green Belt
Reaction score
My advice on this is to have your partner do continuous punching. This will show you how well your technique really works. Even try out having your partner punch then grab, or punch then kick, or.... you get the idea.

Don't let your partner be "dead" after the first strike. This will only give you false confidence in your set techniques.

-John

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, how many of us have seen the combination where are to kick the guy in the groin with a front kick and then reverse punch to the head of the still-vertical opponent. Even as a white belt, I was like "Waaaiiiit a minute...You kick the dude in the gnads and he isn't going to be standing straight."

We always tried to simulate real reaction even when working on partner drills. If I elbow someone across the head, their head goes to an angle; it doesn't stay in the same location.

For lower ranks or with new techniques, sometimes you need to take a few moves and work only that combination instead or trying 50 alternatives. But you still need to have your partner simulate what would happen to the body based on the strike.

As the basic techniques and combinations are learned, they can be put together in various ways until finally it can be a free-form event, with no particular pattern. It's the same reason we learn basic moves, then combinations, then kata moving into sparring. We teach the body what to do in simple controlled circumstances then explore all the alternatives in a more realistic setting.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would probably be a benefit to you to do those line drills against a live person. Many times, when first learning SD, the moves are performed in the air. A partner is added and eventually more and more resistance is added in.

Its fine to run through things in the air. We don't always have someone to work our material on, but it is very important to work things with someone, as you'll certainly get a better feel for what you're doing.

Mike

eyebeams

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Navarre said:
Yes, how many of us have seen the combination where are to kick the guy in the groin with a front kick and then reverse punch to the head of the still-vertical opponent. Even as a white belt, I was like "Waaaiiiit a minute...You kick the dude in the gnads and he isn't going to be standing straight."
Unless the kick doesn't work. You have to ask yourself how training with the assumption that it works and nowing how to react to it relates to training under the asumption that it doesn't work. Both methods have their respective merits.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I almost agree. I'm talking about the old standard "opponent moves forward and punches then stands still while you perform a groin kick". Even if I miss or it is blocked, the opponent's head will not remain in the same position.

I agree that we need to practice for alternative situations as well. This is why I said we need to take one technique, work with it, then look at the other possibilities as well.

You're right in that we should learn other combinations in case the first attack does not succeed. By learning many different techniques and combinations and practicing them diligently we develop a personal arsenal.

This arsenal will only be effective however if we can execute any amount of them in combination with any other in a seamless, instinctive, technically sound manner.

Latest Discussions