EPA changes rules to test pestacides on children

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bal-te.testing14sep14,1,795566.story?coll=bal-home-headlines&ctrack=1&cset=true

Exceptions In New EPA Rules Okay Testing of Pesticides on Children

By Andrew Schneider

Sun National Staff

Originally published 9/14/2005

WASHINGTON - The Environmental Protection Agency's new rules on human testing, which the agency said last week would "categorically" protect children and pregnant women from pesticide testing, include numerous exemptions - including one that specifically allows testing of children who have been "abused and neglected."

The rules were revised under intense criticism from environmental groups, scientists and members of Congress, after the disclosure that subjects in some earlier pesticide studies were unaware of what they were being exposed to and, in many cases, did not know why the testing was being done.

One study would have used $2 million from the chemical industry to measure the pesticide consumption of infants in low-income households in Florida.
And the last line of the article...

"This would be a public health benefit, even though the exposed children may experience an adverse effect."

I'm Speechless...

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Please do not post the entire article, that is a Violation of Martial Talks Copyright policy.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Exceptions+In+New+EPA+Rules+Okay+Testing+of+Pesticides+on+Children&btnG=Google+Search

Here is a google search on the subject. There is lots of good reading on it. I was surprised...my first reaction was disbelief. I was like, "this has to be a hoax!" But it's not. This is real...and it is absolutely sick. It is also idicative of how the Bush administration sells out to corporate interests...even to the point of deliberately giving poison to children.

I thought they were unethical before I read this story, but this really takes the cake. I didn't think anyone could sink this low. Little Jimmy gets smacked around by his parents and the government hands him a ddt lollipop!

:soapbox:

upnorthkyosa

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When I first spotted this thread I thought it said

EPAK changes rules to test pestacides on children

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TonyM. said:
Because of certain legal issues which can arise from doing so.

Posting Articles And News In The Forums
You cannot legally post entire articles or news in the forum without permission from the copyright holder. Even if you attribute the article correctly it's still copyright infringement. Copyright law does not care if you make any money off of the work or not, what matters is if you hurt the potential income of the copyright holder. In this case you would be depriving them of ad revenue and it is illegal.

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well, as long as they are not testing on animals...

We all know how difficult PETA can become! :lol:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I don't buy it. This CANNOT truely be happening in this great land of ours.

Latest Discussions