Entire Parole Board Resigns - Good!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think this is the correct decision. While the Parole Board serves a necessary function, and no one can predict the future, I agree that this was a big mistake, and it cost an officer his life. I hope that the future members of the Parole Board remember this; I hope all Parole Board members think about this.

http://www.enterprisenews.com/topst...ick-Parole-board-resigns-after-officers-death

BOSTON —
All five state Parole Board members who were on the board at the time of the release of a convict who police said shot and killed a police officer in Woburn on Dec. 26 have resigned, Gov. Deval Patrick said Thursday.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
The guy was serving 3 concurrent "life sentences" and these people put him back on the street resulting in the death of an officer right around the holidays. I'm also against concurrent sentences unless the offences were all from one incident agains one victim. Someone should serve the full penalty for each offense. Packaging sentences into concurrent terms is used far too often by DA's when they make their deals.

(and on a separate matter. If you are an LEO..WEAR YOUR VEST!!!!)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you for posting that Bill :asian:

Its not something I can talk about. That was the area where I got married and spent a pivotal part of my career. Woburn encompasses one of the busiest highway interchanges in New England, yet the Woburn PD had never lost an officer...not even to a car crash.

Until December 26, 2010.

RIP Officer Maguire.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The honourable thing to do, good for them.

They are following guidelines and rules laid out by the state, then add in their own opinions, prison officials opinions and other officials opinions to the recipe and come up with an answer on release or not. That they were able to come to the conclusion that this person could be released shows a serious flaw in the system that needs to be corrected before another fine person is murdered by someone who should never have been released.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can't say I agree with you on much, Bill, but here we see eye to eye. Good that they showed some character. I can't imagine taking any other course of action were I in that position.

Latest Discussions