empty hands sparring

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are empty hands striking used on karate sparring competition? almost all the karate competitions I've seen used the fists and sometimes using gloves, but I have never seen a karate chop for example or a ridge hand, the competitions I am talking about are of wuko format.

Manny

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not sure what the wuko formate is but any compitition I attend allows most hand techniques. Finger thrusts to the eyes and clawing techniques are not usualy allowed but almost any other technique is

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can't speak to WUKO format, but when I teach sparring I definitely teach open hand strikes.

You can find everything I teach in my sparring curriculum here on martialtalk,

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95583

But generally speaking I teach long range hand and foot techniques to "karate style" sparring targets. That includes punches and backnuckles, but also palms, heel palms, and handswords. We also use claws and checks as clearing/guard sweeping motions.

I think the reason you see so many closed fist strikes has to do with the equipment and the judging. The gloves the fighters usually wear wrap around the knuckles and lend themselves towards closed hands, and the judges are more likely to call a point when they see the back of the glove clearly hit a person's body than if the palm of the hand seems to get close but they can't tell. That's why a lot of fighters wear red gloves, so that they can be clearly and distinctly seen against their opponent's gi. Of course, I tell my students to strike through their opponents. Then there's no question about contact.

We teach sparring as a drill to help us with our self defense rather than as an end unto itself. So for us, the focus isn't on competition, but on learning about long range striking, timing, distance, and angles, so that we can then apply those lessons back into our full repertoire of fighting techniques. That's why I focus on so many different striking techniques, because we aren't just training to win this match but rather to develop a complete skill set. For schools that are primarily or solely focused on competition sparring, the emphasis on hand techniques might be different.

-Rob

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well karateka doing self defense drills or ipon kumite yes they use elbows,spear hands etc, but when talking about sparring (kumite) I always see punches and no empty hands techs, maybe for security sake but don't know.

For example, in TKD we can kick from the waist to the head with any kind of kick and we can punch to the torso but we don't use other hand tech but reverse punch. I know it's scary to perform a karate chop to the temple or the neck for example but can be done with caution, however I think in TKD the use of the reverse punch to the hogu is done for security matters however a hook kick can drop anybody and can be dangerous too.

manny

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
we allow and teach most all the hand techniques. targets are restricted, such as eyes or other vitals... but groin is a target...

wayneshin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
WKF rules prohibit attacks to the face with an Open hand. This would include strike like palm heel but does not include those like ridge hand if they are to the side of the head rather than the face. However in general you will not see these techniques used.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Given the many styles of karate and tournament rules, the ability to make fist or hand strikes varies greatly.

Definetly in the goju ryu "in-house" sparring and even friendly kumite using bare knuckles, shuto and other open hand strikes are used, at least at my old club, with varying degrees of agreed contact/force. In competition, then that's a different story between styles, such as with kyokoshin not allowing punches to the head.

Having fought under WTK rules for years and in open tournaments, I have not ever heard of a foul or disqualification through a knife/open hand strike but as said above by others, I have never seen one or experienced one and have never had the inclination to use such a technique in full contact competition but they should be allowed, aside from to the face itself - ie nose/cheek area - under the rules with the standard provisos. With 10oz gloves, the fist is by far the easier and more effective weapon and the hand has limited movement range (although you can of course do back fists/spinning back fists using either back or side of glove).

Even within the same style you need to be carefull in competitions in different states and jurisdictions. I entered an open tournament several years back run by a different goju ryu club and was actually given a hansoku against me (disqualified!) for punching my opponent in the jaw. He went down but got back up glaring and the umpire called disqualifation (it was more along kyokoshin rules), I thought that was excessive, anyway and no one told me of any rule variations, now I am rambling "off piste" but it still rankles a bit.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Even within the same style you need to be carefull in competitions in different states and jurisdictions. I entered an open tournament several years back run by a different goju ryu club and was actually given a hansoku against me (disqualified!) for punching my opponent in the jaw. He went down but got back up glaring and the umpire called disqualifation (it was more along kyokoshin rules), I thought that was excessive, anyway and no one told me of any rule variations, now I am rambling "off piste" but it still rankles a bit.

This is a great point. If you'll permit to quote for a moment from Ed Parker's Infinite Insights into Kenpo Volume 5.

ENVIRONMENT

Remember, ENVIRONMENT encompasses those elements that are around you, on you, or in you; prior, during, or after a tournament; or when you are involved in street combat. Close examination of this statement, therefore, reveals to us several possible occurrences. Examination of those elements that are around you should bring to the surface the following questions and thoughts if you were ever a tournament competitor:

1. Are there established rules?
2. What are the rules?
3. Are they familiar to you?
4. Are these rules contrary to what you expected?
5. Are you prepared to enter if contrary to what you expected?
6. Can you quickly adjust to them?
7. Do the rules require that you wear a specific uniform?
8. Will you be allowed to wear what you have?
9. If not, what effect will this have on you entering the contest?
10. If not permitted to enter will you be reimbursed for your entry fee?
11. Can you convert your entry fee to a spectator ticket?
12. Will the tournament promoter be willing to reimburse you for the difference?
13. Are you willing to absorb the cost of a wasted trip?
14. Do the rules require safety gear?
15. What types of safety gear are acceptable? Cup and supporter? Hand and foot pads? Mouth piece? Others?
16. If not acceptable, do you have money to buy what is required?
17. Can you borrow someone else's gear?
18. Again, if you do not have the required protective gear will you be allowed to enter?
19. If not, the same problems can arise as those listed above.
20. Consideration must also be given to officials. For they can be a major concern.
21. Do you know the officials?
22. Do you know of their qualifications?
23. What are they known to look for during freestyle or form (kata) competition?
24. If you are entered in freestyle (sparring), are you capable of keeping the majority of the officials on the side where you score the majority of your points?
25. Regarding your methods of execution, are they too fast to be seen and thus not be given a point?
26. Are your methods of execution in compliance with what the officials are accustomed to seeing when awarding their points?
27. If you are entered in form (kata), competition do you know what your officials favor, hard or soft styles?
28. Armed with this knowledge, you would then have to decide whether you should alter your performance to comply with the tastes of what the majority of the officials favor.
29. It is a well known fact that officials are more inclined to lean toward their methods of execution and, therefore, base their decision on moves that resemble theirs. The criteria being that if they can identify, they can justify.
30. What happens when an official is confronted regarding his or her decision?
31. Will he or she stick to their decision, or can they easily be persuaded or intimidated by others?
32. Are the officials really paying attention to your performance, or are they being sidetracked by something or someone else?
33. What are your rights in the case of incompetent officials?
34. Can you call upon an arbitrator to render a fair and just decision?
35. Is the arbitrator thoroughly conversant with the rules?
36. Is the arbitrator interpreting the rules correctly?
37. Will the arbitrator be persuaded or intimidated by others?
38. If injured during freestyle (sparring), will the tournament promoter provide adequate medical aid?
39. How qualified is the doctor, nurse, medic, etc?
40. If you are told by the medical aids that you cannot continue the match, will you be willing to accept this ruling, or will you protest?
41. What is the ring size?
42. Is the ring size something you are accustomed to?
43. Is the ring padded, or is the floor made of wood or cement?
44. Are you accustomed to competing on a wood or cement surface?

When mentioning those elements that effect you during tournament competition the following questions should be asked:

1. Does the gi (uniform) that you have on allow freedom of movement
2. Will you be able to kick or punch without restriction?
3. Is your gi (uniform) too big?
4. If so, can it hinder your performance?
5. Can your loose gi cause your opponent to grab it to control your actions?
6. If safety gear is required, how effective are you with it on?
7. Will wearing safety gear hinder your accuracy?
8. Is your equipment new or old?
9. If your equipment is old, will it constantly fall apart during the contest?
10. How does wearing equipment effect your control?

When referring to ENVIRONMENTAL elements that may be within you (internal aspects) during tournament competition, I direct you to the following questions:

1. What is the status of your health?
2. Are you ill?
3. How is your physical condition?
4. Are you in top shape?
5. Can you last without getting weary?
6. Will you run out of steam early?
7. What is your mental frame of mind (attitude)?
8. Are you intimidated by fighters who have a reputation?
9. Are you confident or afraid?
10. Will you allow fear to overcome your physical prowess?

As indicated above, ENVIRONMENT is an important consideration and, therefore, all of its influences must be taken into account. The list and statements above, however, just touch on those concerns. I heartily recommend that you take the time to think, analyze, and expound on what has been written. If you are prepared going into a tournament, the chances of victory will increase proportionately. This philosophy also applies to the street. Street combat needs sophisticated analysis far above the level of tournament competition.

I teach my students that sports combat activities are not real fighting. They are a game. And like any other game, you have to know the rules in order to play. Knowing who the judges are, what they're looking for or will disallow, and what you should expect from the other competitors are all important parts of playing that game successfully. In our school we allow strikes to the groin, head, and kidneys. But many tournaments won't allow any of those techniques. So if we compete, we have to alter our approach to fit the local restrictions. I always tell my students, "their roof, their rules."

-Rob