Electronic Scoring??? New electronic chestpads

jsantarose

White Belt
Reaction score
I cannot find the exact article, but i read somewhere that they may start using electronic chestpads to measure the power of the kick and to decide if it was hard enough for a point or not. They also have electronic headgears, foot protectors and gloves as well. I think this is a good idea and it will save Tae Kwon-Do. Esp after what happened with the diana/nia match. What do you guys think??

Also i have posted of video that demo the chest pads, you can see that the chest pad can tell the difference between a direct kicked to the chest pad and a hit taken on the arm that against the chest pad.

What do you guys think??
http://youtube.com/watch?v=uucN5t5ktts&feature=related

http://www.daedo.com/shop02/skin/shop.php?PG=board&Bdb=notice&page=view&uid=14

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes they are trying to make them work but they need alot more work before they let them back in.

britcanbulldogtkd

White Belt
Reaction score
I thought they were already being used and they are going to be used in bejing
hahaha I remember the fuss when they went to the computerised scoring with the hand controls red in left blue in right and somebody corner judges thought they were playing nintendo
Oh happy days

OP
J

jsantarose

White Belt
Reaction score
yeah i dont get that, red in left and blue in right, doesnt that make it harder?

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I can understand them being used to indicate that a strike landed, but I think sensing the force of the blow is going to be problematic. Are they going to be re-calibrated before each match? Are they going to be consistent on all areas of the pad? Are they going to be adjusted/matched to the size of the fighters?

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How do they re-calibrate? Wack the guy with a bat?

If they could get a helmet and chest protector to do that, I'd say great. In fact, I'd like to have that kind of thing mounted on one of my punching bags!

Of course, I already know how hard I hit a bag, but still to have a relative measurment to what others can do would be interesting.

Deaf

e ship yuk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
How do they re-calibrate? Wack the guy with a bat?

Drop a known weight from a known distance. More simply, hit it with a known force.

If they could get a helmet and chest protector to do that, I'd say great. In fact, I'd like to have that kind of thing mounted on one of my punching bags!

Century sells a product called "The Herman" that is an accelerometer attached to a small box with a screen and a couple of buttons. It allows you to run through pre-programmed routines testing for power and speed. Attach it to a heavy bag or focus mitt and have at it.

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Personally I like the idea of wacking the guy with a bat...

I think that something like this is long needed. The whole computer push button scoring system was bad from the start. I've seen matches where someone got kicked so hard they lost head gear but oh no someone didn't push the right button or not enough pushed the red guys button ect ect. It really turned me off to sparring for a long time in a tournment format.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would like to see 1 point for a light hit, 2 points for a medium hit and 3 points for a heavy hit. The olympic TKD does not put enough emphasis on power.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Century sells a product called "The Herman" that is an accelerometer attached to a small box with a screen and a couple of buttons. It allows you to run through pre-programmed routines testing for power and speed. Attach it to a heavy bag or focus mitt and have at it.

That would be very handy. I've seen many a martial artist use some fancy hand or foot techniques I didn't think had any power do to what they thought it would do.

That would be a way to check to see if your combinations work.

I don't like techniques that won't ding up my opponent much. That's cause I adhear to Napoléon's dictum, 'never do an opponent a small injury'.

Deaf

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think that is one of taekwondo's current downfalls. It's to "pretty" and not as effective. That's a big reason I moved into another style. Hands down it gets the job done without the dance steps.

"Hey look at me! I can do a jump flip 720 spinning reverse hook kick... and a two finger poke has more force behind it..."

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that is one of taekwondo's current downfalls. It's to "pretty" and not as effective. That's a big reason I moved into another style. Hands down it gets the job done without the dance steps.

"Hey look at me! I can do a jump flip 720 spinning reverse hook kick... and a two finger poke has more force behind it..."

Jai that is why alot of folks need to find that right TKD school that really emphasis S.D. principle and down right meanness

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Terry, Show me the way and I'm there. In all my years as a MAist I scouted well over 30 TKD schools and they where all the same. All flash and no bang :(

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry, Show me the way and I'm there. In all my years as a MAist I scouted well over 30 TKD schools and they where all the same. All flash and no bang :(

Ever in Texas stop by for a workout, the door is always open.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ohhh boy, I remeber the old days where the corner referees and the central referee used score cards, jezzz I'm old pretty old.

Manny

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Manny you forgot a word in there.

Those where the good OLD days :D

I remember that too.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes they are trying to make them work but they need alot more work before they let them back in.

At this past years convention I drove Jason Hon, world champ. TKD fighter about this "Electronic hogue stuff. He told me that they have been working on prototypes and somewhat functional stuff since Best of the Best I. He said the concept is good/bad. He said "Ernie Reyes Jr. showed the biggest flaw it what the system could be. The part of the slap tap point.

Latest Discussions