Eddie Quinn "The Approach"

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes it is a whole lot easier to counter some thing shown in a teaching moment than when someone is crashing in hard! I like Eddie Quinn's movement and crashing in. It is some thing that we do in IRT as well. I'm glad that in posting a few videos it helped turn the light bulb on!

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh and Mark if you have learned from my friend Dan he breaks things down in a fantastic way! Love Super Dan!

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes it is a whole lot easier to counter some thing shown in a teaching moment than when someone is crashing in hard! I like Eddie Quinn's movement and crashing in. It is some thing that we do in IRT as well. I'm glad that in posting a few videos it helped turn the light bulb on!

Yeah I liked his approach and his entry, I believe he neutralized the aggressor.

Oh and Mark if you have learned from my friend Dan he breaks things down in a fantastic way! Love Super Dan!

Yeah I do too. Super Dan is very deceiving in his teaching style. I mean it looks so simple you are thinking OK when is he going to get to the cool stuff, when in fact he is really showing you what you need to know which is the "cool stuff". In my school/classes in Modern Arnis we are (I am), using more and more of his drills to teach the fundamentals, the building blocks of our Modern Arnis.

Once again thanks for posting the videos and for the discussion.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are right about hopping out of a foot sweep, but next time at the dojo with your workout partners, get to the same position as Mr. Quinn gets his partner in the 3rd video, where he is off balance over past his outside of the foot and you try and hop out. Ain't going to happen, if you can please post a video.

Once again from the video Mr. Quinn's attacker is way off balanced with both arms off to the side, so his trying to attack/control Mr. Quinn's arm as Mr Quinn goes to take him down I don't see is very likely or effective either. Sure it can be done but in the big scheme of things I think Mr. Quinn has the upper hand in the encounter. However as he turns the guy and goes to step back he gives the guy his balance back momentarily and there he might have a chance. This is why I wrote that he should have just continued with the off balancing.

I wasn't writing my comment from the standpoint of how his partner could have defeated it, I was analyzing what Mr. Quinn could do from that point when he started the head twist TD, and I felt that he had the guy so far off balance that if he continued in that direction the guy had less of a chance to counter than when he switched gears and went for the head twist TD.

All of this is really just speculation on our parts anyhow.

The other guy is static though so for the point of the demonstration you don't always go for the best thing. You need to teach a range of options. You can't take those drills/demos too literally. Otherwise you are teaching the defence to a jab cross where the guy just hangs out waiting for you to clamp him.

But I will give the foot sweep a play and see.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, minor differences to get to the same spot. If you look at how I move there is a slight movement off line but Eddie is moving with a bigger more pronounced movement. He is going in deeper while I am working to a spot slightly farther out so that I can do a foot sweep. Similar positioning and slight variation on getting there but the end result is being in the "opposite lever" position where you can sweep, send the guy flying, takedown, etc. Very, very hard for the opponent to counter once you are in the opposite lever. Particularly if you hit them on the way in. It is not like once you are there you are taking a break. No, once they are off balance you are sweeping, executing a takedown, etc. immediately! The danger is if they counter as you are coming in.

The following video shows Eddie Quinn utilizing "The Approach" at a seminar. He ends up deep and executes what I would call a High/Low Takedown from our system in IRT. Enjoy:

Lol.

You found vingitiva.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/17-general-martial-arts-talk/115017-ring-throw.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The other guy is static though so for the point of the demonstration you don't always go for the best thing. You need to teach a range of options. You can't take those drills/demos too literally. Otherwise you are teaching the defence to a jab cross where the guy just hangs out waiting for you to clamp him.

But I will give the foot sweep a play and see.

I get that you should show a range of options, but again that didn't appear to be the point of what was shown, he did the same take down over and over again. Like that was the main entry and TD. It's not like he was going "Ok you can do this, or if he moves here you can do that etc. etc."

Such as like is shown here in this video at about 30 seconds in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions